SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Month 47 Costs of Cruising and Living on a sailboat

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Armonius 
#1 ·
Still sitting in Jacksonville FL doing the “living” part of the thread title. We are staying here for the summer hot/hurricane season, waiting the world opening back up, and doing boat projects

Grocery, beer, and supply runs, sundries, “other” etc. for the month were “normal”.

Boat costs were kind of high considering! Got the boat bottom cleaned. Never fails that no matter where or when I get the bottom cleaned the diver gives me the “growth here is higher than other places and this year has been the worst I have seen” story. Most of the rest of boat costs were hoses, wiring, fittings etc. to install my used Spectra watermaker, which added up to around $500.

Dining out and entertainment costs were low due to virus considerations Did eat/drink out a couple of times and got a kindle book and renewed a subscription.

Communication was cell phones with internet and data. Since we really use the phone more for video streaming Netflix etc. and as hotspot for internet, they are as much entertainment as communication.

Marina cost was a month slip in Jacksonville. Electric was all the power we want at the dock (air conditioning is great!).

Medical/dental monthly plan premium, 2 teeth cleanings and a dental bite guard

Transportation costs was gas and tolls for the car.

The total expenses were $ 2,984.70. Cost breakdown as follows for planners and hecklers:

Food, soda, alcohol, clothing, sundries - $ 1,120.78
Boat upgrades, repairs, maintenance - $ 698.35
Fuel (diesel, gas, propane) - $ 9.00
Dining and drinking out - $ 257.03
Entertainment - $ 96.72
Communication, storage, shipping - $ 98
Fees – $ -36.64
Marina - $ 307.09
Electric - $ 21.20
Medical - $ 347.70
Transportation and travel - $ 83.22
Gifts - $ 0
Water - $ 0
Registration - $ 0
Insurance - $ 0

See less See more
#2 ·
Wonder if I change the thread title of these threads to include the coronavirus if they would better catch on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.