SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
bell ringer
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This makes 4 years of my doing the monthly posts, which are met as an example for how much, what on, and why the cruising kitty got spent. I am thinking this will be the last of the monthly reports as the readership and comments have gone way down. I will say I read a story in the Caribbean Compass the other day of a cruiser couple who said they have averaged mid $1800/month. It didn’t really have a lot of details to be able to tell what they do different than me and I just mention it as another story for the wannabes to look into. I plan to post a year 4 review in a later thread once I get the info sorted.

Still sitting in Jacksonville FL doing the “living” part of the thread title. Planning to get out of here next month and go “somewhere” once all doctor appointments are complete

General living - Grocery, beer, supply runs, sundries, “other” etc. for the month were “normal”. This category has been very stable overall the last 4 years

Boat costs were high with the purchase of 4 new house batteries. Went high tech with 4 FireFly batteries and their promise of being resistant to PSOC. By the time I got the batteries, new cables and some other work that went into the installation these were about $2200. I am going to consider this as $500 maintenance and repairs and $1700 as upgrades as if I had just gotten new Trojan T105s it would have just been $500. The rest in the “boat” category was odds and ends, a hose, and some items to install a new refrigeration system, which really really add up.

Dining out and entertainment costs were low due to virus considerations.

Entertainment includes my wife taking off with our daughter and going on vacation. I got to stay and cat sit and install new batteries. What a great deal for someone, …………………. who wasn’t me!

Communication was cell phones with internet and data. Since we really use the phone more for video streaming Netflix etc. and as hotspot for internet, they are as much entertainment as communication.

Marina cost was a month slip in Jacksonville. Electric was all the power we want at the dock (air conditioning is great!).

Medical/dental monthly ACA plan premium.

Transportation costs were gas and tolls for the car.

The total expenses were $ 5,090.09. Cost breakdown as follows for planners and hecklers and spreadsheet attached (it isn't as excel isn't allowed anymore):

General Living - Food, soda, alcohol, clothing, sundries, other - $ 1,086
Boat costs - upgrades, repairs, maintenance - $ 2,519.22
Fuel (diesel, gas, propane) - $ 0
Dining and drinking out - $ 121.88
Entertainment - $ 550.58
Communication, storage, shipping - $ 138.59
Fees – $ -44.90
Marina - $ 307.09
Electric - $ 21.20
Medical - $ 64.04
Transportation and travel - $ 63.39
Gifts - $ 0
Water - $ 0
Registration - $ 0
Insurance - $ 263

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm still sailing on Other Peoples' Boats, but am considering a future aboard. I, for one, really appreciate all of these, and am looking forward to your 4-year wrap-up!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also always appreciate reading these and dreaming of the day we can push off and do the same.

Two things on this list strike me as incredibly cheap: the slip and the vacation cost.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I hope this isn't your last post on this Don! While I don't plan on living aboard, I do enjoy reading your detailed post on the costs. Since this is the 4th year of doing this, a monthly or yearly average would be intresting to those considering such a venture.

·
Master Mariner
8,539 Posts
Thanks for doing this. It's interesting how those from the other side of the tracks live.
It is one of the things I really miss about operating other peoples' boats; that unlimited budget. Not that I didn't have to account for every cent mind you, but just knowing some accountant was refilling the boat's account as fast as I could deplete it, like magic, was nice.
These days, things are especially tight, with the charter business shuttered, perhaps for another year, we're now having to budget larger expenditures (like a new bimini) and cut back on the Chateau Margaux.

·
bell ringer
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
. Since this is the 4th year of doing this, a monthly or yearly average would be interesting to those considering such a venture.
Would be a lot less trouble if a spreadsheet could be posted like before the site upgrade.
year 1 monthly avg -$3685
year 2 monthly avg -$3607 (less boat costs, more medical)
year 3 monthly avg - $4067 (more boat costs w/a haul out and bottom job, new dinghy, Mexico vacation)
year 4 monthly avg - $4801(lots of medical, new mainsail, new outboard, used water maker, new refrigerator, new electric head, lots of transportation costs due to medical and virus and we brought a car that we will sell in a month and hopefully it works out)

The big story this year is medical and related costs from a broken shoulder, transportation costs from buying a car, a new mainsail, and lots of bat upgrades because we decided the better life was worth the costs of doing them.

anyone who wants the spreadsheet can email me at svrubberducky 'at' gmail.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts