SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Month 50 Costs of Cruising and Living On a Boat

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Linwood4 
#1 · (Edited)
Traveled down from North Florida to Marathon FL in the Keys where we plan to stay till new year.

General living - Grocery, beer, supply runs, sundries, "other" etc. for the month was high "normal".

Boat costs were low. Most of it was a hatch tent so we could leave one open when there was going to be rain and we didn't have the big tarp up. Had to replace the engine ignition switch as it was shorting across and the oil pressure alarm would sound.

Dining out and entertainment costs were back into our more normal range with a couple of fun brewery stops and meals out with our fellow boat scum.

Communication was cell phones with internet and data, and an annual fee for our inReach unit.

Marina cost was a few days on a mooring in Vero Beach and a month at Boot Key/Marathon.

Medical/dental was monthly ACA plan premium.

Transportation costs were high and was gas and tolls for the car, plus a $203 1-way car rental to go get our car. There is also a $125 hotel under "travel" here because we went and stayed in a hotel the night a potential hurricane was looking to hit here.

The total expenses were $ 2,998.46. Cost breakdown as follows for planners and hecklers:

General Living - Food, soda, alcohol, clothing, sundries, other - $ 915.25
Boat costs - upgrades, repairs, maintenance - $ 166.37
Fuel (diesel, gas, propane) - $ 182.13
Dining and drinking out - $ 551.10
Entertainment - $ 9.99
Communication, storage, shipping - $ 174.56
Fees - $ -26.34
Marina - $ 411.66
Electric - $ 0
Medical - $ 58.70
Transportation and travel - $ 494.45
Gifts - $ 47.99
Water - $ 12.6
Registration - $ 0
Insurance - $ 0

See less See more
#2 ·
Tomorrow will begin a new month (52) . Should I post the month 51 here as there was not a single comment or question from this one?

Yes it is kind of like trolling for comments. But if the topic has burned out on SN I will just spend the extra time b*tch winging the dinghies going pass the boat too fast.

#4 ·
Wasn't Christmas yet on this months report and i am waiting till tomorrow to start Christmas so the bill comes due next year. One of those complex “not counting” money issues of cruising.

Btw Mark I have gotten you a grift the last 4 years. You never come get it, so I drink it myself.

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.