SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
bell ringer
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Marina cost was 2 months of marina because of the days they processed the charge.

Medical/dental was monthly ACA plan payment.

Transportation was gas we spend coming back from vacation last month and for when we borrow cars to get around.

Grifts – wife 60th birthday plus some stuff got others

The total expenses were $ 3,721.10. Cost breakdown as follows for planners and hecklers:

General Living - Food, soda, alcohol, clothing, sundries, other - $ 1,231.77

Boat costs - upgrades, repairs, maintenance - $ 214.36

Fuel (diesel, gas, propane) - $ 0

Dining and drinking out - $ 850.21

Entertainment - $ 52.98

Communication, storage, shipping - $ 199.85

Fees – $ -62.03

Marina - $ 617.00

Electric - $ 43.00

Medical - $ 46.99

·
Registered
2005 Sabre 386
118 Posts
It stuns me that you have been living aboard for nearly 5 years. I can't believe that I've been following and appreciating your posts for that long. Time flies...

·
bell ringer
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finished week 58 last week. Spent $2698.33 and am not planning a write up unless enough people seem interested in it. Otherwise I am just going to do yearly ones on the topic from now on.

·
Administrator
7,953 Posts
Before you sneak your future figues away can you answer one question, please?

Have you ever been under budget any month?

Mark

·
bell ringer
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yes, just was. If the new and improved SN allowed I could even post a spreadsheet to show it. but since starting 24 months have been below the original monthly target spend.

·
Administrator
7,953 Posts
Yes, just was. If the new and improved SN allowed I could even post a spreadsheet to show it. but since starting 24 months have been below the original monthly target spend.
Hmmm, I didnt know a spreadsheet cant be attached. But a PDF can be. Can you save your spreadsheet as a PDF?

·
bell ringer
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
total spent$ 225,007.92
yearly average$ 45,001.58
monthly average$ 3,750.13
I started with the hope of averaging $3k/mo, and I have now changed that to $3.5k. But I still mentally aim at the $3k.. Two categories have been ruining this; 1-boat maintenance, repair and upgrades where we have spent $50k the last 58 months. 2 Medical - it only takes a dental problem and a broken shoulder to throw that high.

It has worked out pretty well for me overall because the stock market has been good the last 5 years

·
Administrator
7,953 Posts
Yeah. Not too bad.
Your figures are "all in" figures... i.e you include non-boat, non cruising things, say for example, presents. They are necessary to an all in life budget but not cruising expenses per se as they are bound by ones generosity. (something I am no afflicted with).

I am trying to crunch the future numbers of investments/stockmarket... but of course thats damn impossible. Since the February/March 2020 crash I have increased my buffer by 10%. I am working on Principal (P) + Inflation (CPI) + Buffer (10%) = "P+10%"
So my budget is anything above the P + 10%.
In a good year I will have more to spend and in a bad year I can hunker down.

Mark

·
bell ringer
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I count almost every thing I spend as a "cost of cruising and living on the boat" because they are all part of "living". I feel I have provided enough detail to allow others interested in using my numbers as budgeting to adjust for themselves. I do my stocks easy really. I just pick a balanced fund and leave it alone. I mostly track performance each weekend and make slow changes. I start collecting US Social Security next year and the next year my wife will collect. Those plus a small pension I have will be $3900, so we then be joining the rich crowds and I will look for a country club version of a sailing/cruising forum.

·
Administrator
7,953 Posts
Sorry, but we just increased Sailnet Country Club to $4,000 per month. Sorry, boat scum, you missed out.

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: GlanRock

·
bell ringer
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry, but we just increased Sailnet Country Club to $4,000 per month. Sorry, boat scum, you missed out.

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:
Not a problem as i can do that easy with my stock dividends. The bigger issue is why would I hang with scum that allow me to be part of the group?

·
bell ringer
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Spent $3345 last month, which is month 59. One month to go to finish our fifth year and this is going to be lowest cost year by far.

·
bell ringer
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With 2 weeks to go to complete week 60 and year 5 I find myself putting off getting stuff for the "numbers". Items collect in my virtual shopping basket till I go "hell with it, that $200 wouldn't make a big difference and I want to get the project done". We even went on vacation a week ago, which added a lot of cost mostly for the rental car. But we wanted to get off the boat a while!

Meanwhile, God Bless the stock market with the S&P 500 currently at 4535!!

·
Administrator
7,953 Posts
I think he's a lamer sitting in front of his computer in New York.

He's still at home!

😊

1 - 20 of 33 Posts