SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey im in the market for a boat around 40ft down in southern florida. what r some of u guys from that area estimated costs of things such as insurance, slip fees, maintence ect. i plan to be there somewhat rarely i guess. i live out west and will be able to go to florida every other month for a month. thanks

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
I believe there are way too many variables in your question for you to receive an answer that would be worthwhile.

Insurance cost depends on the agency used, the type of boat, its surveyed condition, etc.
Slip fees depend on the type of marina (resort, DIY, etc.)
Maintenance depends on the condition of the boat and the mindsets of both you and the previous owner.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Good reasonably priced moorings at a very good sailing club. Right on Biscayne Bay 175 nm to the entire Keys, only 10 hrs from the Bahamas and a $25 ride from the nearest international airport.

Coconut Grove Sailing Club

Everything ultimately fails and needs replacing on a 5-20 year cycle so you have to amortize those costs.

My battery bank lasted 8 yrs, replacement in the Caribbean $4,000+ or $1.50/day for 8 yrs.

Insurance in Miami used to cost me 3.3% of hull value because of hurricanes. Sailing around the world it is 2% because they insist I stay away from hurricanes.

It is far more expensive than you think!

Good luck Phil

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow 3.3 percent. seems like a lot. ya dferron there are a lot of variables i kinda blanked that. i guess it can all depend of the boat and dependabilty.

40' because that seems to be a good size for the amount of crew i plan to sail with. usually 5. sailng expeirence is slim but i got the bug. im asa 104 cert and plan to be back n forth every other month in FL to sail

1 - 5 of 5 Posts