SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
morgan 382 (or 3) Vrs Pearson 365

Views on which would be the preferance for a couple sailing primarly coastal but with an option to go further afield if the fancy strikes.
Thanks

·
Registered
652 Posts
Not familiar with the Moody, but very familiar with the Pearson 365. My best friend bought a 365 at the 1979 Houston In the Water Boat Show and sailed it until he bought a farm and retired in 2005 - he sold it to help with the purchase of the farm. Between my Bristol and his Pearson we have sailed across the Gulf in every direction and endure some very bad weather in the process. Good solid boat, best layout for a chart table I've ever seen (you can sit at the chart table and talk to the helmsman), good galley for cooking at sea, strong underbody (cutaway forefoot keel and skeg hung rudder) easy engine access. If you end up with the Pearson, you won't be disappointed.

·
S/V Sabbatical
112 Posts
The original post was looking at a MORGAN 382 or a P 365, not a moody. I took a look at both of those boats in a search for my boat. I was looking for a boat that would take my girlfriend and I to the Caribbean for a year. Both boats fit our budget and size requirements.

I ended up with a 1976 P 365

Both boats have a lot in common they displace around 18000 pounds, have a similar waterline length, similar lines, high bulwarks, similar interior volume and similar keel design.

Here is my view of the pros and cons of each

Morgan 382 Pros

Has a quarter berth with a foward facing nav station (nice for guests)
Sloop rigged for easier short handed sailing and better pointing

Morgan 382 cons

Traveler mounted in the middle of the cockpit
Not as much head room (I am 6'4")

Pearson 365 Pros

An inch or two more head room
An active owners forum The Pearson Yacht Club • Index page
Seperate shower
Less interior woodwork to take care of

I think both of these boats are very similar and probably both great for what you want to do. In this economy I wouldn't spend a dime over 30k for a nicely equipped one of either in great condition. If it needs work you should be able to get it for substantially less.

·
Warm Weather Sailor
1,040 Posts
Oh a Morgan! His original post stated Moody 383. The Morgan 382 is an excellent cruising boat. My buddy who we sailed with for seven years had a 384 (I think) always get the last number wrong but it's the same boat. I'd take that over the Pearson. Here's the Morgan. Took the pic as I was passing him. :) He just sold it last summer.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
The confusion lies in the fact that the thread and the OP actually say different things.. :) Both are pretty decent choices for the types of sailing he's planning on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts