SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can make $100 a month, is it even possible? (Eastern shore) Jeff, I know you know people, I even put an ad of the ES craigslist Mooring or dockage wanted! nada

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,436 Posts
The only places on the upper bay on the eastern shore I know of that have moorings, but I doubt for less than $1000 per year. PM me about another option.

Swan Creek:
Swan Creek Marina
6043 Lawton Ave
Rock Hall, MD 21661-1300
United States (US)
410-639-7813
After hours: 410-639-7813

Worton Creek:
Green Point Landing Marina
23150 Green Point Rd
Worton, MD 21678
United States (US)
410-778-1615

·
Banned
12,357 Posts
I can make $100 a month, is it even possible? (Eastern shore) Jeff, I know you know people, I even put an ad of the ES craigslist Mooring or dockage wanted! nada
Try Hances Point Yacht Club on Northeast River. Nice small club. Moorings. Close to where you live. Very affordable and best of all nice members

www.hancespointyachtclub.com

Initiaion one time is $150. Annual Membership dues are $370 or so. Look at application form on website. It appears mooring is inlcuded you have to supply pennant. They have a clubhouse as well. They have a pumpout. You can winter store for $13/ ft. You may need a sponsor, but I can help you with that.
We have stayed there once and the people are very nice. Mainly small sailboaters. Yours will be one of the larger ones, but they have many in the 28-35 range. Let me know if I can help

I also second DRFerron on the Granary Marina on the Sassafrass///moorings for $1500

Reactions: jimgo

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was on the Sass years ago it's beautiful but too far from the bay!
Hances, that's thin water/mud up there no?

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Bohemia Bay Yacht Harbour lists moorings at $900/year for 26-30' boats. Beautiful marina, best swimming pool location I've seen anywhere. It's where I'll go when I'm ready to move to the other side of the canal, if I can get a slip for a reasonable price. Or maybe I'll just consider a mooring also.

You need to check their charge for dinghy rack storage. Their rate sheet says $50 per season, but I'd think that should be included for moorings.

What's your draft?

I know several people who are members at Hances Point, and they love it. You can apparently do daysails up there without coming all the way down to Turkey Point, though you do need to avoid certain areas.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
5 ft, Bohemia sounds appealing Rich! thanks! Hances defiantly has my attention and since I'm already a YC member in good standing, here It' makes sense for me to consider it!

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Dfok is a member at Hances Point. He posts here occasionally.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Bohemia is pretty skinny water, Denise. Real easy to run aground up there. Hances Point is fairly thin, too, about 6 feet at high tide, a little over 4 feet at dead low.

The mooring field at Tidewater is six miles from the head of the bay, rates are $1,289 for boats under 30 feet, $1,529 for boats 30 feet or larger. Personally, I think it's high for a mooring ball.

There is a large, totally protected mooring field in front of Green Point Landing/Marina, fairly deep water, short distance to the bay, but I don't know the prices. You may want to contact them. Green Point Marina in Worton, Maryland, United States (443) 480-2507

Good luck,

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
830 Posts
Hance Point YC is the next mooring field above the one in front of me, Bay Boat Works.. Plenny of bigger.boats there. Sure! There's some places that arre goosey for depth; but y'all know ta steer clear uvvum, doncha? ;) The channel is plenny deep and wide, with good depth/access to tthe marinas and YCs. I know, because I sail right across the edge of them alla the time ":D Lowest I recall seeing the past two years in that area was 9'-8" +/- (7' reading, plus 20" to tthe wtaerline)

Just gotta watch tthe tides; mostly in only a few areas. Only bumped bottom once or twice due to shoal shift; but once yanno where......;)

IIRC, HPYC is a "working" club. Might bbe required to lend a handat something for a few hours per annnum (20?). No sweatt; but whenI found that therre were no overnites or live-aboards, it didn't suit me too well.

**edit**
Justwent to HPYC site. 170 dues and 300 maint fee,refuundable against approved work at site. IIRC, intiation was $#350 . Still; cheaper tthan my private floating dock; but then there's the LA issueand needing to row out, retrieve the boat, pull up to courtesy dock,load uup pass and supplies, yadda-yadda. I dunno how summa you folks doit!? :D

C'mon up! From here, the rest of the Bay is downhill; wide-open, in front of ya ;)

·
Banned
12,357 Posts
We have a number of friends at Hances thats why I recommended it to you Denise. Its a very laid back YC kind of similar to the one you are in. They have a nice clubhouse. Working Club is really a misnomer as you dont really have to do that and the requirement is like 2 hours a month,,,which youd accomplish helping others get their boats in the water. Most boats are similar size to yours. You can stay overnight on yours ( not sure where that info came from).

From my discssuins with Dfok and other members of the club they have an active sailing group also so you can have fun with others if/ when you choose to.

The water is far less skinny than you think or people are saying and much less of a trip to the sailing point which is really how I would judge it. From there you could go the Chesapeake City, Worton, Still Pond, Sassarass, and Havre de Grace on an easy 1/2 day.

There is one small stretch 1/4 mile of narrow channel ( 9t),,,then channel is wide from there on with good depths, sailable depths 9-15 ft.. Weve taken our 4.5 draft up there at dead low on a west wind and never saw less than 6. Nice setting too in the trees.

Bohemia is also nice, but a is very shallow ( no more than 7 and mostly 5 and 6 ft and is full of power boaters. Rick is right about the pool at that place. Its a nice one, but doesnt compare to the one in Solomons at Spring Cove for setting or Herrington for size.

I oput down Sassafrass as it actually a very sailable river. Goood anchoring and swimming and a place to sail when the winds are too strong to be comfortable on the Nay as the River is easily 1/1/2 hr sail one direction. That also means a long way to the Bay, but it will easily take you that long from Bohemia, Havre de grace of hances to get that far South.

Good luck

So you do have some options

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have mentioned it to my friend Hank too. Hances seems like a good choice and it's virtually the same set up as my club "working club"

D ten, No over nights? You get in your boat and have to be home by dark? Live aboard, now that could mean many things. So I don't know.

The Bohemia appealing too, if the moorings are that affordable. It's close to the C&D channel so I don't see my 5ft draft being a problem.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
I have mentioned it to my friend Hank too. Hances seems like a good choice and it's virtually the same set up as my club "working club"

D ten, No over nights? You get in your boat and have to be home by dark? Live aboard, now that could mean many things. So I don't know.

The Bohemia appealing too, if the moorings are that affordable. It's close to the C&D channel so I don't see my 5ft draft being a problem.

Thanks!
Draft may be tight for you on Bohemia. I alwaysseem to arrive from the north close to low tide, and I haven't had a problem there. But I draw less than 4' and haven't tried to get in on a strong NW wind before. I've talked to people there with much larger boats than mine and nobody I spoke to has complained about it.

But the price is very reasonable for that area, the setting is nice, and it's a closer drive than some other options.

·
Banned
12,357 Posts

Thanks!
How is Hank. Tell him I said hello..

I know Rick will counterpoint me but her is MHO

Bohemia River is a beautiflul place. marina is nice...pool is nice ( no comparison the the size of Herrington or the beauty of Spring Cover in Solomons.

But dont let anyone fool you its a VERY shallow river. We draw 4.5 and have bumped...and even gotten stuck almost every time we have been in it and usually do not go back very far.

For a 5 foot boat I would be very careful. Its not just the charts water it is the reality of the river. West and NW wind blow water out of the bay. Spring and fall have many frontal passages with at least one day of west and NW wind behind them. All it takes is just 12 inches of water blowout coupled with low tide to leave you either stuck in or stuck out not being able to get in. We have friends who kept their first boats there...and left after a year or too.

Their main reason was that did want to have to worry about whether they would have enough water to have a good weekend. The constantly worried about it. I would ask people who are at that marina.

See how many of them got to sail these last 6 weeks with lots of west wind.
Our boat was down two feet in the slip every weekend with virtually no tide in the part of the Chessie I am in.

Its a real concern...something a chart wont tell you and at 5 ft you were already skirting the boundry.

Its a shame as I said its a nice place...but for a very shoal keel boat.

·
Registered
830 Posts
The "overnite/LA" thing was my recollection from investigating the HPYC two years ago..I see no ref to that in published data now; so call and ask?

Low tide AND NWwind *is* a bit risky for a deeper keel. I spent the entire last weekend onthe bottom at 33 degrees tilt.."list" would indicate actual water! ;) Only about two hours,twice a day I can't/get in/out; even *with*my "groove". Low tide(nominal) right in front of me in he BBW channel is 5 ft. Unusually low tides/NW wind can turn tthat into 3.6' sometimes

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Denise, I only draw 4 feet and I've churned mud just about ever time I ventured into the Bohemia River at low tide. Michael (Ferret chaser) lived aboard his boat anchored out in from Bohemia Vista and there was lots of time that he was sitting on the bottom. It's a beautiful river, but it ain't a place to sail unless you have a retractable center board boat.

Now one of the main reasons Michael anchored out was that he could only get in and out of the marina at high tide, and the tide had to be real high - not just a normal high. When the tide was low, there was only 3 feet of water in the channel leading to the marina.

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Bohemia Bay Yacht Harbour lists moorings at $900/year for 26-30' boats. Beautiful marina, best swimming pool location I've seen anywhere...

What's your draft?...
At the time I recommended BBYH, I did not know your draft. That's why I asked. After I learned that it was 5', I stated:
Draft may be tight for you on Bohemia.
I don't think I'm disagreeing with anyone else's warnings.

Perhaps dss30 can comment, since he has his Catalina 30 in a slip at BBYH.

·
Banned
12,357 Posts
At the time I recommended BBYH, I did not know your draft. That's why I asked. After I learned that it was 5', I stated:

I don't think I'm disagreeing with anyone else's warnings.

Perhaps dss30 can comment, since he has his Catalina 30 in a slip at BBYH.
Catalina shoal draft can be anywhere from 4.4 to 5.5 depending on year and if tall rigged

If it walks like a duck....it quacks like a duck....its a duck...we dont have to ask it if its a duck. Nice thing is the people who have sailed the area a lot know that the Bohemia River is shallow and have given you good information.. The only boats that fair well there are very shoal draft ones.

Without that you will either be spending time stuck to the bottom and or hitting the bottom, not just in your slip, but also while sailing up and down the river. In addition I dont think an inboard likes getting mud sucked up through its engine a lot.

The river is beautiful, great to go up in a dinghy which we do now. We anchor out at the mouth SW corner. Why risk hitting bottom. Rick, Your Catalina is very shoal draft. Perfect place for you. Keeps some of the riff raft out. Mine is close and I would not keep my boat permanently there for all the above mentioned reasons. Even at 4'6"

Denise is 6" deeper than mine. No matter what DSS says its not worth worry about whether there is enough water to sail everytime you go to your boat. Especially with other good alternatives.

I think she is looking for an inexpensive place to keep her boat giving her access to the Chesapeake and also a reasonable distance from her home. She wont want to worry once she makes the trip to the boat she wont be able to move it. She was having limited luck on her searches. The yacht club, Havre de Grace and Sassafrass are good alternatives. You also get extyended sailing seasons from there as Hances doent require pulling until Nov 1. Everything I know about the place including the people makes it ery attractive.

I would still explore the Sassfrass as it is a sailable river...not narrow really at all once past Turner Point and deep. Course if you can fford Worton...well it becomes a no brainer to me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I guess I will chime in! Since we have an infant on board, we pretty much stayed close and sailed all over the river this summer, but mostly west of the marina. We did venture towards Hack's Point a few times, but stayed in the center. The only time we had trouble was actually in the fairway in front of the gas dock on a dead low full moon tide. Just my experience though. YMMV

1 - 20 of 29 Posts