SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. We're new to the site, and to this world and could use the opinion of some wiser folk. We have a 38 foot Wharram catamaran being built. We're looking for a mooring tie that is strong due to the high weight of catamarans. Something like 10,000 pounds. We were leaning toward the sampson post style.
Am I right in assuming that a cleat is not viable to moor with at out size? Also, how big should the bit (Post) be. We're looking at a 60mm diameter post thats 142 mm tall, or for much more money there's a big 70mm thick post thats 172 mm high. We're leaning toward that bigger is better idea.
Anyone's personal input and experiences would be greatly welcomed. I'm building a sail boat and have only been on a laser, so you can imagine my ignorance. The websites for the two bits are below. Thank you all very much for your time.

Ercole bollard

Vetus-Shop.Com : Vetus Stainless Steel Bollard Achilles 150 (Vetus ACHIL150)

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Though you may like the look of a samson post, there is absolutly no reason herrshoff-style cleats cannot be used. In fact, they are used to moor truely enormous boats. They are generally more convinient and secure.

You will need large cleats, 10-12".

The ONLY reason I would consider a bolard on a wooden boat is if I were planning to step it through to the keel; bolt-on is no better than a cleat, with WORSE leverage and less convinient hitching.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts