SailNet Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving to a waterfront property on the Severn River (Severna Park, MD in Anne Arundel County) later this Fall. Does anyone have experience or know how to establish a mooring buoy? This would be in Yanz Cove. Is this something you need to secure through the county, state, or USCG?

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,396 Posts
Contact the County, AA County has strict permits on anything related to water or building...and it will probably take you months to get it...and don't even think about doing it without a permit!!! Ask the guy who built is house behind Dobbins Island ;)

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chef. Ha! I've heard about the house on Dobbins Island from my in-laws (live in the area). I'll do it by the book.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,396 Posts
Yea, unfortunately, from what I understand, his actions lead to a lot of revision to anything related to permits in AA county. A friend of ours has a place right near Dobbins and had a hell of time getting permits to rebuild his pier after TS Isabel hit the bay. Craitoo just did a pier, on the Magothy, you might try sending him a PM ;)

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Suprising update. It turns out that Anne Arundel Co, The State of MD, or any other governing body, does NOT require any permits of any kind for mooring buoys provided they do not impede private or public access such as private piers or public channels.

·
ex-Navy
224 Posts
mooring buoys

When I lived in Severna Park on the Magothy, as I remember, people had to go thru the USCG for mooring buoys. Seems that for anything connected to the land you had to go through the county and the environment folks, on the water it was the Coasties. This was about 15 years ago so my memory may be faulty. Anyway it doesn't hurt to check

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Suprising update. It turns out that Anne Arundel Co, The State of MD, or any other governing body, does NOT require any permits of any kind for mooring buoys provided they do not impede private or public access such as private piers or public channels.
This is consistent with my understanding.

·
ex-Navy
224 Posts
Don't know Yantz cove, but Cattail Creek where I lived was very narrow, had a lot of private pieres and a community marina. I bleived the check with the USCG was to determine whether a mooring was impeding access

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
When I asked the USCG about installing a mooring they replied:
exactly, how would this apply to someone in MARYLAND?????:rolleyes:

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I don't think that the VMRC applies to Maryland.

I just found this from USCG:
An unlighted mooring buoy is regulated by the state or territory whose waters the buoy is located in. A lighted mooring buoy is considered a private aid to navigation and must be permitted through the Coast Guard. If lighted, it shall display a white light at the top.

·
Sailor
933 Posts
The USCG must have thought you were referring to the Severne River in Virginia (off the Mobjack Bay, I believe). The builder who put that house on Little Dobbins Island without any permits of any sort, has not had to pay any fines or consequences. He won all of the court cases. The only consequence was that the rest of US have to toe the line to the letter as the county now watches more closely.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,396 Posts
DNR Link about mooring buoys

Single Recreational Mooring Buoys

Mooring buoys may not be established in the following areas:
  • Public shellfish beds;
  • Private shellfish beds, unless permission is obtained from the leaseholder;
  • Cable crossing areas;
  • Designated beach and swim areas in the Severn River; or in
  • Controlled ski areas in the Severn River.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Talk to the Annapolis Harbormaster at (410) 263-7973 about a private mooring permit. For a buoy on spa creek I know it takes years to get, but further up the Severn i've known people who have gotten the permit fairly quickly. Going through the USCG bureaucracy will just make you want to sell your boat.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I live off of the Magothy along Cattail Creek. My friend did some research for me regarding moorings. There is a ducument which he found on the internet from MD Dept. of Nat. resources and it looks like no permit is necessary. We figured you could buy all you needed at a hardware store. That being said, you have to follow a set of rules and restrictions relating to distances and navigable water ways. We did not research any further, but there is documentation out there to help you.
Permits

""The State does not require a permit for single recreational mooring buoys. The federal government requires no permit either, granting permission under the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. However, a mooring buoy may bear ownership identification. We suggest using the state registration number, documentation number or vessel."
name.""Single Recreational Mooring Buoys

1 - 16 of 16 Posts