SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 34' sailboat (well, new to me) and I will be borrowing a mooring. My boat is set up with two flanking cleats at the bow and the mooing has a single pendant. What is the best way to attach a y shaped bridle or line loop to a single pendant? I imagine the best thing would be to attach a new y bridle at the mooring chain but I'm not inclined to mess with the mooring below the water.

Thanks

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
I just loop a docking line from one cleat, through the eye on the mooring ball, and to the other dock cleat. Then for a backup I do the same thing going the other way with a second docking line.

I only use moorings for a couple of days at a time though (my boat is normally kept in a slip, not a mooring ball).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. How much do I need to concern myself with rope to rope chafe at the pendant? Will chafing gear at this location prevent the ropes from sliding through the pendant eye?

·
Banned
3,112 Posts
I just loop a docking line from one cleat, through the eye on the mooring ball, and to the other dock cleat. Then for a backup I do the same thing going the other way with a second docking line.

I only use moorings for a couple of days at a time though (my boat is normally kept in a slip, not a mooring ball).
When I tried this, the boat, tacking around, pulled the rope back and forth thru the mooring, chafing it thru quickly .It was an 1 1/2 inch dia line ,which didn't last long. Better use separate lines on each side. The most chafe resistant is a single eye in the bow , below the anchors, with the mooring line having a hard eye in it, shackled to the mooring,the shackle wired.
Zero chafe.
Tying it on to the eye has minimal chafe.

·
Barquito
3,728 Posts
I don't think you need a bridle. Just adds another failure point. There really should be two mooring lines, one to each cleat. I like to keep one a little more slack than the other. If you fails then the other can take over. I have had my boats on the pin for years. I tend to get minor chafing after a few years. If you don't have nice smooth fair chocks, then add chafe gear.

·
Sailboat Reboot
652 Posts
As a "belt and suspenders" kind of guy I use the triple threat. Two separate mooring lines plus the anchor chain as backup. I take two of my dock lines, loop them through the mooring pendant (stick the bitter end through the loop and pull tight.) and then up to each cleat on my deck. If I am going to be away from the boat for any period of time I unshackle the anchor from the anchor chain. Then I run the anchor chain out to the mooring ball and attach it next to the pendant directly to the ball. This is the backup in case the mooring pendant fails. I leave the chain loose so that the dock lines take the strain. This solution requires me to carry no extra gear.

True story. Like the Captain of the U.S.S. Stark I was in the head. Reboot is firmly attached to a mooring ball. My crew in the cockpit starts yelling "we are about to hit another boat." I have course yell back "its his problem, we are moored." They keep yelling. I pull up my pants and come up on deck. Yes, we are still attached to the mooring ball. Unfortunately the mooring ball is no longer attached to its anchor so we are drifting across the mooring field! :)

If you expect to use a mooring ball for some period of time it doesn't hurt to dive on it when you arrive and then once a month or so.

Fair winds and following seas :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Jonah
I would probably do it the way JKemp mentioned with one exception you will be adding additional scope and that could effect the swing in your mooring field, so just take that into consideration. If it is a tight mooring field there could be only enough swing room for a standard length pendant.
Peter

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
How long will you be using the mooring? If only a short time, I would just use the single pennant as long as its a decent size and fits your chock and cleat. Adding a bridle is only going to add complication and your are still on that single pennant.

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,298 Posts
You may not have your new boat very long if you dont set good chafing gear on the pennant. Lookup ChafePro. Do not use a dock line in the system at all. If you will be on this mooring for more than a week or two, buy a proper double line Yale mooring pendant and have it set up on the mooring.

·
Registered
454 Posts
FYI you should never attach a mooring painter to a mooring ball. Either attach it to the chain under the ball or use the kind of ball the chain passes through. The mooring ball itself should never do anything but provide flotation.

True story. Like the Captain of the U.S.S. Stark I was in the head. Reboot is firmly attached to a mooring ball. My crew in the cockpit starts yelling "we are about to hit another boat." I have course yell back "its his problem, we are moored." They keep yelling. I pull up my pants and come up on deck. Yes, we are still attached to the mooring ball. Unfortunately the mooring ball is no longer attached to its anchor so we are drifting across the mooring field! :)

If you expect to use a mooring ball for some period of time it doesn't hurt to dive on it when you arrive and then once a month or so.

Fair winds and following seas :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts