SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I think I've found a boat to buy and need a place to keep her on the Chesapeake western shore, anywhere from the Key bridge to about Deale MD.

Ideally, I'd like to put down a mooring (or buy/rent one that is already in place) near a marina or someone's dock where I could store a dinghy.

Alternatively, I'd consider a slip in an inexpensive, no frills marina.

Eventually (fall 15) I'll need a dry/winter storage place where I can perform DIY maintenance as well.

Suggestions please. Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I would also recommend Oak Harbor. Old Bay Marina and Youngs Boat Yard on Jones Creek are also good no frills places. Probably some of the cheapest rates on the Bay.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,348 Posts
Cocobean,

There are some great options for you. I also recommend Oak Harbor Marina, please mention my name, Shawn. Ken Browman is the owner and wife Barbara run the marina, as mentioned a DIY place and very well protected. Nothing fancy there, but you're not looking for that. I know they have a few slips available.

If you want really cheap, another place to consider is Bodkin Marina, a privately owned dock/pier essentially. As long as your draft isn't much more than 4' you should be good, its soft mud anyway. Charlie is the owner, kept my boat there for a season. Very well protected but it all the way Back Creek, a branch off Bodkin Creek, I paid $1200 per year about 8 years ago there for my 44' LOA boat, not going to find anything cheaper.

4arch Old Bay Marina is another good recommendation for inexpensive, no frills, good marina.

You can find some places on Middle River fairly cheap but there are lots of marinas and lots of power boats on that river = can be very bumpy on the weekends. Good location for sailing points North on the bay and the competition keeps prices competitive.

Bush River really doesn't have much for sailboats, same for the Gunpowder, and they are shallow and often can be closed off due to Aberdeen Proving Grounds.

South, West, and Rhode Rivers offer some good deals, try Marinas.com You can get a lot of info from there, including phone numbers, emails, websites...etc

There are not many places on the Western Shore that offer moorings, but there is another place I can discuss, but I prefer to discuss that via Private Message or email me please.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your replies thus far.

T37Chef, I can't PM or email you as I am new on Sailnet, my email is cgogden at yahoo

Clay

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Cocobean,

There are some great options for you. .........................

There are not many places on the Western Shore that offer moorings, but there is another place I can discuss, but I prefer to discuss that via Private Message or email me please.
Good info :)

·
Just some guy with a boat
20 Posts
T37Chef,

When you write, "There are not many places on the Western Shore that offer moorings, but there is another place I can discuss, but I prefer to discuss that via Private Message or email me please.", that's intriguing for my situation too, but I am afraid that I may be in the same new user boat on this forum as cocobean, and it seems I also cannot yet email or PM you. Though presumably, as a longstanding forum member, you could fire off that info in my direction through the forum, yes? It would be much appreciated...perhaps even life changing.

Regards,
Bilgey

1 - 9 of 9 Posts