SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi sailors,
I have been thinking about this for a few years but haven't ask it out loud. I would like to know your different opinions about the matter. The idea is simple, I have a mooring somewhere, you have a mooring in another place; could we swap them for some time (1 day/night or one week)? Of course boat size should be similar or within the limits for the spot. I don't know, just wandering why this situation is not taken more often among boaters, or maybe it does but I don't know it yet:unsure:

Yes I know, your are going to tell me about legally/liability issues and that maybe the marina or harbor masker will monitor and trouble you if another boat is in your spot...will they? You probably know more on this than me.

In my case, I have a nice spot in Cape Cod. But I always want like to visit other harbors nearby (Cape & Islands) within a one day trip distance and spend the night there. But many of them are "first come, first serve" for the moorings, and always though I will have no room and have to pay the crazy dock rates here (mooring rates have increased a 50% in some places) or ultimately drop the anchor. On the other side, if I leave my home port for a period of time it can be used for other fellow sailors as transient spot. I don't know, give your best! Thanks.

·
Registered
24,744 Posts
Maybe there could be a mooring swap thread setup here.

No doubt, the rules are different for each and both parties would require full disclosure. Owning ones mooring is a different beast from renting. I suspect the vast majority are renters and have no right to allowing another to use it.

Posting the particulars of what’s being offered would make sense....... mooring anchor type and size, chain, pennants, max loa, etc.

Reactions: cascoamarillo

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
If one thinks of moorings as harbor parking spaces... it clearly makes sense for sailors who prefer a mooring to avail themselves of an empty mooring. If most moored boats leave their mooring for a weekend to another harbor... they leave behind an empty mooring. If sailors were not able to avail themselves of these empty moorings you would have empty mooring fields and over crowded anchorages.

I recall years ago telling the guy I rented my mooring from when I was going to be away for a number of days and I believe he rented it to transients.

I have also returned to find a boat on my mooring and they always quickly moved off.

Northport (Seymours) has a bunch of rental transient moorings.... which can be booked. Seems like a good practice.

Mooring fields are always closer to the shore side facilities... anchoring further out.

·
Registered
24,744 Posts
Mooring squatters are far too common. I’ve never been comfortable doing it. However, I have arrived at published transient moorings, with every intent to pay, but literally couldn’t find anyone to give the money to. I even tied it off, in a bottle, tied to the mooring once. Who knows if the right people got it. But, that was in Maine, so if anyone took it, they‘d probably return it with interest.

The issue with squatting is not knowing if the gear below the surface is safe for your vessel, or any vessel, for that matter.

Reactions: SanderO

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
Mooring squatters are far too common. I've never been comfortable doing it. However, I have arrived at published transient moorings, with every intent to pay, but literally couldn't find anyone to give the money to. I even tied it off, in a bottle, tied to the mooring once. Who knows if the right people got it. But, that was in Maine, so if anyone took it, they'd probably return it with interest.

The issue with squatting is not knowing if the gear below the surface is safe for your vessel, or any vessel, for that matter.
Some tells are the size of the mooring lines, the size of the loop.. even the number of lines ...1 or 2. Weight matters more for heavier boats obviously.
In Newport, for example... we anchor as there is a decent launch service... good holding, dinghy tie ups and the anchorage is not terribly far. That's what we tow the dink for... shore access.

I standard code for weights of moorings would be a good thing... like roman numerals on the balls III, IV, V, VI for hundreds of pounds

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am a squatter sometimes, but just for a couple of hours in the big harbor before returning to port; have a snack, swim. Always ready to leave if the owner (if there is one) shows up. And yes, I am not comfortable doing it either. Always wondering about the tackle below. And there are a lot of empty spots in my area.

The idea would be like SanderO mentioned, have some records of the moorings, weight, lines, etc. But I wasn't thinking on money transfer/rent; just know what buoy is gonna be empty for what period of time, and what kind of boat it's suitable. Maybe if there is some interest, wouldn't be great to have like an App with several users (crowdfunded), where you don't need to swap one to one, but different mooring and boats and people heading to different destinations.... just day dreaming.

Well, maybe the big marina industry with overpriced transient slips have something to say.

·
Barquito
3,737 Posts
I have two moorings. One is controlled by the Harbor Master, and the other by the Municipality. They both have a description of the boat on the mooring, and expect that is the boat they would find there. However, I doubt they would ever look.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have two moorings. One is controlled by the Harbor Master, and the other by the Municipality. They both have a description of the boat on the mooring, and expect that is the boat they would find there. However, I doubt they would ever look.
The Harbor Master in my town is the same, one boat registered to a mooring, and you are not allow to rent it. You even can have it empty all season long....and then you have eternal waiting lists. But that's another issue. Anyway, I also doubt they look if it's being transient by another boat (and no money transfer is done).

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,996 Posts
Some tells are the size of the mooring lines, the size of the loop.. even the number of lines ...1 or 2. Weight matters more for heavier boats obviously.
In Newport, for example... we anchor as there is a decent launch service... good holding, dinghy tie ups and the anchorage is not terribly far. That's what we tow the dink for... shore access.

I standard code for weights of moorings would be a good thing... like roman numerals on the balls III, IV, V, VI for hundreds of pounds
The problem with that is that you don't have any way to check the condition of that mooring's ground tackle is in below the surface. In November 1969, Windrift, my family's Pearson Vanguard was temporarily on a mooring waiting to be hauled for the winter. That mooring previously had been the permanent mooring for Chauve Souris, the 70 foot Alden Schooner. It should have been safe. A storm came through and the mooring chain parted and that was the end of Windrift.

Jeff

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
I suppose in the not too distant future moorings will be smart and will report to a smart phone app, their size and so forth... whether private or seasonal and the transient rate.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I like the idea of it. I have borrowed a friend's mooring and reciprocated with my mooring in the past Sometimes I prefer to be on a mooring vs. Anchoring usually when the Anchoring location in some harbors leave you exposed to weather. I would want to check my towns regulations. I own the ground tackle but pay the town an annual fee. How would a trade work? Do I trade with a person and I owe them the same amount of nights?

·
Registered
24,744 Posts
Do I trade with a person and I owe them the same amount of nights?
I would start with that assumption, but anything could be agreed upon, between two consenting parties.

There are house swapping businesses online, not unlike AirBnB, but with swapping. Some may even allow listing things other than traditional housing.

·
Administrator
8,137 Posts
I would love to borrow/rent someone's mooring if not in use next year when I am sailing up the USA.

September thru November anywhere south of Chesepeake and north of Cumberland Island, Georgia. Preferably near a good airport.
I have put the boat near New Bern a few times and that was good. But wouldn't mind a good touristy (but safe) location like Charleston etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts