SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I need a good RF radio with power, but in my shop I have an old
TRC 430, 40 channel CB radio I took out of my truck couple years back. With the alternative of not having any radio at all, do you think I could use the CB for the time being.?

Some issues I figured I'd have:

I have a fender mount antenna for the unit, and i'd need a 25ft extension up the mast. Would I have signal loss due to the length?. Would I need a booster for gain.? I think it's 3-4 watts max.

It seems a CB should give it's best performance in a marine environment where no obstructions are present. The antenna height should give it some maximum performance.

I figure for the time being I'd be happy just to contact passing vessels, and maybe listening most of the time for weather forecasts. Contacting shore installations would be nice too.

Are the CB channels common on boats?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
VHF marine radios and CB, not really the same thing. Sure the CB will work, and it's range will just be OK... at 4 watts.

But honestly you can pickup a VHF portable for about $50 with rechargable batteries, and it'll at least be monitored properly for emergencies, even on an inland lake.

Check out buy.com for bargain basement VHF radios/antennas

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
WADR, dumb idea. Like using a hammer when you need a screwdriver. Get a VHF. No one on the water will ever hear you, and truckers couldn't care less.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
I know I need a good RF radio with power, but in my shop I have an old
TRC 430, 40 channel CB radio I took out of my truck couple years back. With the alternative of not having any radio at all, do you think I could use the CB for the time being.?

Some issues I figured I'd have:

I have a fender mount antenna for the unit, and i'd need a 25ft extension up the mast. Would I have signal loss due to the length?. Would I need a booster for gain.? I think it's 3-4 watts max.

It seems a CB should give it's best performance in a marine environment where no obstructions are present. The antenna height should give it some maximum performance.

I figure for the time being I'd be happy just to contact passing vessels, and maybe listening most of the time for weather forecasts. Contacting shore installations would be nice too.

Are the CB channels common on boats?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Years ago, people traversing the ICW often carried CB radios and chattered away like magpies as truckers often do. In fact, however, I haven't seen or heard of a CB radio on a boat in probably 20 years. Check the marine consignment stores in your area and you're likely to find an older but still usable VHF very inexpensively. For example see Marine Consignment of Coastal Maine, LLC - ICOM VHF Radio IC-M412 w/mic, pwr cord & manual ISS4075

Good luck...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts