SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a trip in a May from Morehead to Charleston (and back). We have a 35' sailboat, shallow draft (swing keel), 3GM30 Yanmar. I am looking for comments on good places to stop along the intercoastal and also good places to jump outside (and back in) if the weather permits.

I don't have a lot of outside experience (outside along NJ as we brought the boat south from CT) and with only 2 of us I don't want to do any overnights. So I am asking about what inlets along the route are favorable for moving outside and inside.

I have charts, the ICW book (older) and we may be traveling with a couple other boats. I can get specific about where we 'plan' to stop, probably only doing 40 - 50 miles a day, but I am interested in comments from others that have made this trip.

thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
401 Posts
That sounds like a nice trip and you should be able to break it up in to small hops of 40 -60 nm per day. It is really a beautiful section of the ICW. I have done those sections both inside and out and combinations of both. So to give you some suggestions on hops. Morehead to Masonbroro Inlet( Wrightsville Beach)
Masonbroro inside to cape fear then outside to Little River Inlet
OR
Masonbroro outside around Frying Pan Shoals to Little River
Little River outside to Winyah Bay(Georgetown) , or stay inside.
Winyah Bay to Charleston

Enjoy your trip

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
I found 50 nms was the absolute limit per day. Each time I've done it I've been solo.
So keep the miles short 😊

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
I think you will break the trip down into anchorages of varying distance each day.
Plan 2 or 3 anchorages each day and decide as conditions allow...and what feels fun to you.
You cant just pull over and anchor anywhere. Big day miles...and short day miles

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
I think you will break the trip down into anchorages of varying distance each day.
Plan 2 or 3 anchorages each day and decide as conditions allow...and what feels fun to you.
You cant just pull over and anchor anywhere. Big day miles...and short day miles
There are not 2 or 3 anchorages per day to chose from anywhere on the ICW. Maybe a local might know a few but a transient wont. Will they?

As for me, after driving 50nms in a day all I wanted to do was to tie up in a marina and go get a steak and 300 beers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts