SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many hours of searching the web I have not been able to find any reviews for the Morgan 321. I would appreciate info on any of the boat's charasteristics:
- How well do they sail? The interior layout is good or bad?
- Is it common to find leaks or core damage around the chain plates or stanchons?

Thankds for your input,

Duke

·
Registered
16 Posts
Morgan 32

Duke,
I owned a 1980 Morgan 32 for about 7 years. She was hull #1. This was the 4' shallow draft version, so she was a bit tender and could not sail as well to windward as some other boats. That being said, I think she was a very well built boat for her size and cost. I would certainly take her over a comparably sized Catalina or Hunter any day. In addition to lots of cruises in the San Francisco Bay and N. California coast, I made one crossing to Hawaii and back with her. I never felt any concern that she was not up to the trip.

When I originally bought the boat she had a bunch of rotted core around the mast, but this was discovered during the survey and the price was discounted appropriately to deal with the repair. Never had any other core issues. The hull did have a nmber of tiny shallow blisters, but they never grew in number or size over the years.

She had a PHRF rating of 180 in the SF Bay, so that will give you a decent idea of her speed/performance. I would not buy her as a racing boat, but rather a very well rounded cruising boat that could put in a reasonable turn of speed.

Aesthetically I liked her relatively low freeboard (not a lot of windage), but always thought she was a bit too wide in the hips. Of course this is something I would never say in her direct company.

Greg Davids
s/v Pacifica
Ericson 39-B
San Francisco

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.