SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
s/v Ubiquitous
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. Previous owner of a 26 foot boat that needed a cutlass bearing replaced. Easy peasy because it was within the hanger supporting the shaft. The Morgan is not built like that. The prop comes directly out of the hull in front of the rudder. Pulled her out for the first time today and there is some movement in the prop shaft. Not really bad sloppy but enough I want to change the cutlass bearing out.

Here is the delima, never done or saw one done this way. I know there are other boats like this. How do I go about removing and replacing the bearing? Would so love to get my hands on a copy of the owner manual for her.

Thanks for any help,

Bill

·
s/v Ubiquitous
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response. I don't doubt you succeeded in this but I have to back up and ask, WWMD (What would Morgan do?)

It seems odd to me Charlie would have made a boat that required cutting part of it off to replace something like a bearing that is known to need replacing eventually. There has got to be another better way.

·
s/v Ubiquitous
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking long and hard at it I have formulated this plan.

Ignore it. (jk)

I would really like to and I don't really motor that much so, while the idea has not been entirely thrown off the table it is still possible. We will be pulling her out in a year or less to evaluate the bottom after my hull refurbishing currently in the works.

So if I do tackle this replacement now I hope it goes like this

Remove prop
Remove prop coupling
seperate prop shaft from coupling
remove rudder
remove prop shaft
remove old bearing and replace with new
replace prop shaft and connect with coupler
replace rudder
replace prop
Drink several beers

Am I missing anything...like while Im in there doing all this add to my list

replace packing gland on rudder
replace packing gland on prop shaft
change tranny fluid
change oil
vacuum and repaint engine hold and bilge
-did I miss anything?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.