SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a new boat and this cough my eye for two reasons. It is on my budget and it has a shoal draft since eventually I am planing to do long cruising and possibly Caribbean.

However I could not find almost nothing about Morgan 40 online and not sure if it is well built and what are concerns regarding this type of boat.
It needs some work but the price is under 20K. It has been sitting for the past 4-5 years. It has a recently rebuild diesel engine.

Does anyone know about these boats? I am better of buying a C&C 36 for a little more money?

Attachments

·
Old enough to know better
4,342 Posts
Well the C&C 36 would certainly preform better! They are arguably a better built boat by a large margin. With the C&C you will get cored hull (good and bad) and likely self tailing winches, and much a more modern boat.

But you are comparing apples to jalapenos. Kind of hard to make a comparison.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
miatapaul,

Thanks for your reply. I believe this Morgan is cored hull also. I also know that I am comparing two completely different boat types. This Morgan 40 is different from Morgan 41 from the shape and even construction I believe, but I am finding limited information on them.

I am planing to do lake sailing (Lake Ontario mostly) for few years and then take it down to Caribbean. I know for lake sailing C&C would be better option, but not as a good option for Caribbean with 6' draft.

Morgan also looks safer boat if I want to do a long cruising such Toronto to Caribbean.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Damned good looking boat. I don't believe the hull is cored, but the cabin top is. Morgans, which are reportedly slow, are great sailing boats, and slow is, apparently, a relative term. Yesterday, I sailed the upper reaches of Chesapeake bay in a 12 to 15 MPH wind from the SSE. There was a guy there in a tiny trimaran that pulled up along side and came from behind me. "Hi captain, is that a Morgan 33 Out Island?" "Yes" I said. "I thought those boats were supposed to be pretty slow, but I guess someone was mistaken. I had a Hell of time catching up to you and have been trying to catch you for an hour. That boat really moves right along."

So, I guess if you are like Jeff, and love to race, the Morgan is not the boat for you. However, there are thousands of cruisers all over the planet that live aboard Morgans and love them. They provide a very, very stable platform, more interior space than boats of similar size, huge amounts of storage space, and track like a dream. After riding on a 33 one time, I searched three years to find one for myself. Oh, and they don't heel much beyond 15 degrees on a windy day and beam reach.

All the best,

Gary :cool:

·
Master Mariner
8,380 Posts
Six foot of draft is not at all limiting in the Caribbean. The Bahamas, on the other hand is a lot of shallow water sailing, but is quite doable with a six foot draft.
I certainly wouldn't let a six foot draft put you off a good deal on a boat. From the picture you posted, I don't see anything wrong with that boat as a Caribbean cruiser, IF, I repeat, IF she surveys out well. She'll not be a greyhound, but she looks like a comfortable boat for sailing and living aboard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts