SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm down to 2 boats. 32 endeavor, 34 Morgan. Both basically same price, both great shape and upgraded. Chesapeake, Icw, Florida, keys, bahamas, a little Caribbean. Morgan shoal with cb, endeavdor keel shoal draft. Going to look at both. Any recommendations rations or thoughts? Build quality...ability...stability offshore...handling of wind...spaciousness? Most of what I've read they both seem to be built very well...Both seem capable to handle some light bluewater....interior space on both is very similar dimensions...... in reading the specs seems like they are very similar. I wonder of the cb will help me off shore...ir more trouble then it's worth.... I appreciate anyone thoughts or experiences

·
bell ringer
4,765 Posts
People spend too much time in boat analysis.Based on what you wrote you feel both are basically equal, so get the one you "like" best. The only thing I would add is that if you plan to acturally cruise on the boat, get the one with the better living setup and arrangement and better tankage.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Hey,

No offense, but until you see the boats you really have no idea what condition they are in and which one is nicer. First look at both boats. Then, if you still have questions, come back and ask.

Some items you need to think about:
Sails - which boat has better / newer / more sails?
Propulsion system (not just engine) - which boat has the better (cleaner, records, maintenance, type) of engine, transmission, prop strut, drive shaft), etc.
Gear - which boat has more / better gear - things like inverter, refrigeration, on board shower, cleaner / nicer interior, better winches (self tailing?), lines led aft for easy sail handling, etc?

Take detailed notes and lots of pictures.

Good luck,
Barry

·
Registered
990 Posts
So I'm down to 2 boats. 32 endeavor, 34 Morgan. Both basically same price, both great shape and upgraded. Chesapeake, Icw, Florida, keys, bahamas, a little Caribbean. Morgan shoal with cb, endeavdor keel shoal draft. Going to look at both. Any recommendations rations or thoughts? Build quality...ability...stability offshore...handling of wind...spaciousness? Most of what I've read they both seem to be built very well...Both seem capable to handle some light bluewater....interior space on both is very similar dimensions...... in reading the specs seems like they are very similar. I wonder of the cb will help me off shore...ir more trouble then it's worth.... I appreciate anyone thoughts or experiences
I agree with Don - go with the one that you like the most...they are very similar boats. I looked at a Morgan also, along with several other boat, but chose the Endeavour because it just felt like the right boat for me. I’ve enjoyed sailing it in Florida and the Bahamas. Very comfortable and seaworthy, and she sails surprisingly well considering some of the negative reviews I read online before I bought her. Easy to single hand, especially after I installed a wheel type auto pilot. There are some pics in my media galllery if you’re interested.

·
Master Mariner
8,228 Posts
If you are going to move aboard for any length of time, when looking a a boat to buy, livability should be the most important thing about any boat. It is going to be your home and you want a comfortable place to live. Ventilation, especially if you are thinking of heading to the tropics comes in a strong second, with storage for your gear and boat equipment/spare parts a close third. A good galley is also important if you like to eat something other than cereal and sandwiches.
Personally, I really like centerboards and would lean toward a board boat, but that's way down on the list after the things above.
Lok said above, go look then come back to us and let us know what your thoughts were.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, Thanks for ALL the recommendations. I've gathered much more information. So, both have had recent upgrades in just about every aspect...autopilots, rigging, electronics are similar, etc. The endeavor has a bimini and dodger, the morgan dosent. The Morgan looks a bot nicer (visually) but I'd be re-doing cosmetics anyway. The morgan has a basic alcohol stove...the endeavor has a gimbled force10...the morgan has a rebuilt engine with 650 hours ...the endeavor and documented and maintained original engine...hours unknown....endeavor...new prop and shaft...

Both have been very well maintained...with lots of recent upgrades.

The endeavor appears to have better storage space and 1 quarter birth....the morgan less storage space but 2 rear quarter births....

The Morgan - much of the "upgrades and maintenance" was just prior to the current owner so its word of mouth. the endeavor ....5 year old rigging and inspection, new head and shower, new cushions, all new ports and hatches with screens, new cabin lights, new auto pilot, new electrical panels, new vhf, new bottom paint, new bilge pumps, new lifelines, 3 year old dodger and bimini...etc

Here is the biggy for me. the Endeavor is 1.5 hours closer to me. Marinas in this area are about 2k less per year then where the morgan is. for just 1 year this is like 2k less plus the drive time...Id keep it there for a year or 2 before moving it south.

The morgan I like because its a blue hull and cosmetically looks nicer....but much on the endeaver cosmetics i'd be redoing anyway.. I like the extra quarter birth on the morgan as well as the centerboard and a younger engine. But the endeavor has more documented upgrades and work, is closer, and the marinas are thousands cheaper.... love the shoal draft on the Endeavor..

As far as size, the interiors look about the size, the endeavor apparently having more storage space and nooks and crannies...i like that. 32 compared to 34....interior though seems almost same.

I looked at capsize and comfort ratios and they seem to be almost identical. So I would expect them to perform very similar in rougher water? Ive heard the endeavor is maybe a bit slower but more forgiving which i am fine with... I guess my big question - would anyone have issues taking the endeavor through the keys, crossing to Bahamas, and even jumping down to the Caribbean or even Cuba? Seems its all easy for this boat to handle...just curious on more experience sailors thoughts. Florida to Bahamas and Turks to to Dominican are only roughly 60 miles or so...so I expect this is cake for the endeavor, especially with a decent weather window. Just asking opinions. THATS STILL 5 years out for me...i need lots of practice in the Chesapeake on her...but its a goal. (I am a newbie sailor...only about 3 years experience on a 26 footer on the Chesapeake) - Appreciate all your thoughts and experience

·
Registered
990 Posts
So, Thanks for ALL the recommendations. I've gathered much more information. So, both have had recent upgrades in just about every aspect...autopilots, rigging, electronics are similar, etc. The endeavor has a bimini and dodger, the morgan dosent. The Morgan looks a bot nicer (visually) but I'd be re-doing cosmetics anyway. The morgan has a basic alcohol stove...the endeavor has a gimbled force10...the morgan has a rebuilt engine with 650 hours ...the endeavor and documented and maintained original engine...hours unknown....endeavor...new prop and shaft...

Both have been very well maintained...with lots of recent upgrades.

The endeavor appears to have better storage space and 1 quarter birth....the morgan less storage space but 2 rear quarter births....

The Morgan - much of the "upgrades and maintenance" was just prior to the current owner so its word of mouth. the endeavor ....5 year old rigging and inspection, new head and shower, new cushions, all new ports and hatches with screens, new cabin lights, new auto pilot, new electrical panels, new vhf, new bottom paint, new bilge pumps, new lifelines, 3 year old dodger and bimini...etc

Here is the biggy for me. the Endeavor is 1.5 hours closer to me. Marinas in this area are about 2k less per year then where the morgan is. for just 1 year this is like 2k less plus the drive time...Id keep it there for a year or 2 before moving it south.

The morgan I like because its a blue hull and cosmetically looks nicer....but much on the endeaver cosmetics i'd be redoing anyway.. I like the extra quarter birth on the morgan as well as the centerboard and a younger engine. But the endeavor has more documented upgrades and work, is closer, and the marinas are thousands cheaper.... love the shoal draft on the Endeavor..

As far as size, the interiors look about the size, the endeavor apparently having more storage space and nooks and crannies...i like that. 32 compared to 34....interior though seems almost same.

I looked at capsize and comfort ratios and they seem to be almost identical. So I would expect them to perform very similar in rougher water? Ive heard the endeavor is maybe a bit slower but more forgiving which i am fine with... I guess my big question - would anyone have issues taking the endeavor through the keys, crossing to Bahamas, and even jumping down to the Caribbean or even Cuba? Seems its all easy for this boat to handle...just curious on more experience sailors thoughts. Florida to Bahamas and Turks to to Dominican are only roughly 60 miles or so...so I expect this is cake for the endeavor, especially with a decent weather window. Just asking opinions. THATS STILL 5 years out for me...i need lots of practice in the Chesapeake on her...but its a goal. (I am a newbie sailor...only about 3 years experience on a 26 footer on the Chesapeake) - Appreciate all your thoughts and experience
As to your question about sailing the Keys and Bahamas, I can say from personal experience the Endeavour, when adequately equipped and maintained, is well suited for those cruising grounds. I've enjoyed about 12 years of sailing my E32 in that area. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for cruising the Chesapeake, US east coast, Keys, and Bahamas.

I know folks have sailed these boats to the Caribbean, but the E32 was designed more as a coastal cruiser and probably isn't your best choice for a boat for the kind of hard slog to windward it takes to get to the islands if you take the Thorny Path. One of the previous owners of my boat sailed her as far south as Trinidad, but I understand he was close to giving up by the time he got to Puerto Rico.

On the issue of one vs. two quarter berths, one of the things I like about the single quarter berth is the added storage space under the cockpit for scuba / fishing gear, etc. and better access to the back of the engine and the transmission.

You may have already seen this, but here's a review of the E32 done by Practical Sailor years ago: Endeavour 32 - Practical Sailor

Good luck with your decision. Sounds like you are going to get a great boat either way!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had the great luck of chatting it up and getting such good feedback from all of you. especially big dog - super helpful - this community is great. Considering multiple other aspects the list changed slightly as some other things came up. The morgan was moved to a third - got a little more set on the endeavor...BUT then i came across a Bristol 34.

Again, my main concerns are Chesapeake, Florida, keys, Bahamas...BUT dont want to be left wanting if I ever decide I want to go further down into the Caribbean or Bermuda. So does anyone have any thoughts on a Bristol 34?

Here's what I have and am very interested in your thoughts.

Endeavour 32 : Pros: almost fully redone with new rigging, port lights, and just about everything else.Close to home. Quarter birth - love the shoal draft. I know they are fully capable of Bahamas and florida...questioning heavier seas of the Caribbean. CONS: not sure of overall quality ive heard some say good, some say Ok....some say may not handle heavier seas as well.

Bristol 34: slightly larger, bit more spacious inside, everything upgraded or replaced in the past 5 years. Lots of extras and upgraded. More capability of heavier seas...perhaps better built. CONS: draft is about a foot deeper then the Endeavor. wondering if this will pose a huge issue in the Chesapeake or Bahamas...

So...say, price is same. Any thoughts? Am I over thinking the extra 1" draft of the bristol....or over thinking endeavors ability around northern carribean ...i.e. puerto rico bvi from bahamas?

Lastly, I really appreciate the great info and food for thought you all have supplied.

·
Master Mariner
8,228 Posts
I'm not familiar with gunk holing in the Chesapeake, but I wouldn't be so worried about your draft in the Bahamas. I operated an 80 footer with a 9.5 foot draft there for some months without problems, though admittedly, I was Rolaid's biggest customer. Of course, you won't be able to tuck in as closely as the shallower draft vessels, but the trade off for better windward ability and comfort in bigger seas more than make up for having to explore some places by dinghy rather than on your boat, IMO.

Reactions: bigdogandy

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,145 Posts
Until you LOOK at the boats - in person, there is no reason to comment. LOOK at the boats then tell us what you saw. Specifications and reports from brokers and owners are virtually useless when shopping for a boat.

I had my heart set on one make and model boat. I saw a bunch of them that were described by the brokers on YachtWorld as "like new," "excellent condition," "cleanest you will see." What I saw was junk (smelly water-filled bilges, wiring from hell, mildew, damage from running aground). Each of the brokers always had another similar boat that I might be interested in. I would look, and always be disappointed . But it got me looking at other makes and models of boats!

In the end I looked at over 17 different models of mid-eighties boats in the 33-36 foot range, and well over 60 boats. Many of the brokers that I dealt with had no clue about sail boats. I am sure that many of them HATED me - which was fine by me.

·
Registered
990 Posts
That’s a great point, E......when I was looking I had the same experience and in the end the condition of the boat was the deciding factor in which boat I bought more than who the builder was or what kind of gear was on it.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts