SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently looking at a Morris Leigh 30 moored in
Savannah. It was apparently sold as a hull and completed by the two owners to a high level. (I've been on her and sailed her 12 years ago. I'm trying to find out more about current pricing, what specifically to look at with this boat, etc.
The current owner is a friend and has maintained her well. Worth getting a survey? I'm currently living in Minnesota.

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you're thinking of buying her, a survey is definitely a good idea once you have an accepted offer. Until you have some money involved in the deal a survey would be premature. After you've agreed on a price (subject to an acceptable survey), it is a useful tool for you to find out whether there are issues that you - and perhaps even the owner - are unaware of, and which should be taken into account in the price. Have you looked her over yourself, recently? Morris yachts have a generally excellent reputation on build quality, but every boat can develop problems of one sort or another, and owners don't notice all of them because they change so little each time they go out sailing, and they get used to the status quo. Even with a hull and deck in great shape, an engine mount could have a crack, or a pulley be out of alignment. Everything works just fine... until it's YOUR boat, and it doesn't.

Registered
Reaction score
I think Hinckley bought out Morris after the old man passed away to absorb the boatyard in Bass Harbor. Might be wrong, but there might be answers there. Owner finished hull I'd want a darn respectable survey.

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think Hinckley bought out Morris after the old man passed away to absorb the boatyard in Bass Harbor. Might be wrong, but there might be answers there. Owner finished hull I'd want a darn respectable survey.
Hinckley bought Morris in 2016. If the OP went sailing on her 12 years ago (in 2011) the buyout has no bearing on this boat except that they might have kept some paperwork. The actual condition of the boat (as you suggest in wanting a darn respectable survey) is what counts.

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, but they have all of the drawings and tend to have the history of many of those boats. I'd call them and ask a few questions if I had any. I still converse with Tartan on occasion on a 1979 T37 I refitted. Very helpful. Especially when you're dealing with a boat of that caliber. Tom built some nice boats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts