SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Bring On The Wind
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the course of a discussion with a few other sailors I was trying to figure the one most important tool to have with you if you were sailing, of course there was no correct answer. But for the sake of discussion what tool would you have to have and why. Mine is a Davis Sailing Knife which was given to me by my grandson.

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
Wind....

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
I'm not sure about useful but at times I feel like I'm the most useless ..... :)

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Winch handle? :D

Reactions: night0wl

·
Old soul
4,917 Posts
Seriously; a leatherman. If you don't have one you need one a sailboat.
Wave - Leatherman Multi-Tools
I'll echo this. We carry a whole collection of tools, all organized by task (electrical, plumbing, engine, general), but my most-used tool is the one on my hip all the time. I've gone through a few multi-tools over the years, and currently carry this one:

Charge TTi - Leatherman Multi-Tools

I especially like this one b/c you can open the cutting blades with one hand, so it doubles as an emergency knife.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Spare parts and the tools and ability to use them.

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
Seriously, it seems like the most useful tool for the job is always the one tool you don't have aboard. Based on use, maybe the most useful tool on board is one of the hokey, corny Davis Universal Deck Keys.

i cut off the tangs on one side and put an edge on it, so it is now a wrench, screwdriver, bottle opener, deck plate key, shackle pin key and knife. It was a $9 impulse buy at the local chandlery, and i attached a lanyard and a freebie floating keychain to it. It gets used more often than either of the pocket multitools I have aboard, partly because it is always close at hand.

·
snake charmer, cat herder
2,650 Posts
cell fone to call friends in the anchorage you approach for beers and heat the coals for bbq.....mebbe even conditions at present..lol

or warn them that you are going to be there so they can flee the area....

but that means the loose nut behind the wheel actually functions......mebbe....

could be the wench that maintains the loose nut behind the wheel ... in some boats....rodlmffao.....

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Mike,
What makes the TTI worth $50 more than the wave? I cannot discern a functional difference and neither mentions one handed blade opening, so how do you do that?
John

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Mike,
What makes the TTI worth $50 more than the wave? I cannot discern a functional difference and neither mentions one handed blade opening, so how do you do that?
John
The Wave is easily opened and closed with one hand.

It also has a ruler along the handle, which I find comes in quite handy.

The Phillips head screwdriver uses a replaceable/reversible bit which I understand could come in handy. If you strip the bit it's easier to replace than the whole unit, but... The one and only time I've been up a mast I was using it to replace the steaming light and naturally before I even had the first screw out the bit came loose and went bouncing all the way down to the deck...

·
Old soul
4,917 Posts
Mike,
Mine just looks cooler ;)

I'm sure both would be fine. I recall liking the feel in my hand of the TTI over the other options when last I went shopping, but I'm sure the others would be just fine.

The two main blades (both he straight and the serrated) can be flipped out using your thumb. That's what the hole in the blades are for. There are many models that offer this option now, including the Wave.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts