SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to store on deck and not rust a small motorcycle like a Triumph scramble? Where would you store it? How would you keep it? How would you load and unload it every time?

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
I own one of the more tubbier 30 footers and would think a motorcycle impractical and not worth the hassle. No way to get it below and something of a safety hazard and in the way of lines above deck. You could probably rig something with the halyards to load and unload but even that sounds like a PITA.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,407 Posts
Try this;

The gas version weighs 64 lbs. Stow it in the rear quarterberth.

The girl is not included.

Reactions: Sal Paradise

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,407 Posts
You could try this;

Getting it off the dock/boat is a pain though...

·
cruising all I can
917 Posts
putting aside why you would want one aboard.
yea,you could put it on a swim platform. no matter where you put it,it'll be junk in short order. Rust! you're not going to believe how bad it'll rust.and the Carb and water in the gas, not good.
I would suggest a folding bicycle, no gas,license, ins. and you can put it in a bag and ride a bus or cab or even hitch.much more "affordable ".
I've considered putting my folder in an inflatable and my inflatable in a small folding trailer behind my bike. get to a public ramp, pack up pedal away.

·
Captain Obvious
2,375 Posts
Kostis

I have a Triumph Bonneville ( almost the same bike) and its just too h heavy. I have also thought about this. There are some small displacement lightweight motorcycles such as old CL's that can carry two people, have racks and weigh less than 300 lbs vs the Triumph's 500lbs. You can fold down the handlebars and it might be possible for two strong men to get one into the cabin. Not sure where else you could put the bike. Maybe along the lifeline where some boats store fuel cans. Another idea ould be a postie bike such as a Cub 70 or a moped.

Reactions: Kostis

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,407 Posts
Yes, an FJR1300 too... :(

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok i guess you dont agree. I have seen it with smaller motorcycles. Just nothing bigger.

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
Not something I would do but, to each his own. But the link was just to point you and anyone else to other viewpoints when the subject was brought up before.

Nothing more than that.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Even if you could find the spot on deck for it, I don't see how you'll keep it from rusting badly rather quickly. Just look around at what our bicycles sometimes look like. Regardless, I wouldnt even attempt it for two reasons: The deck was not designed to hold it, and securing it may be more of a challenge than its worth.

You're goonna need a bigger boat.

Reactions: Kostis

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
I think the OP should give up sailing and buy an RV.
That'll hold a motorcycle and it has the benefit of not rusting out.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
My Father in law had a big Novi which my wife's family lived on for the summers out to M.V. He used to put his Goldwing in the dinghy and drag it there from Weymouth to Martha's Vinyard. Admittedly it was one of the old 4 cylinder Goldwings. So it is feasible for short trips in calm weather. He would just tarp the thing but now a days would think to shrink wrap it. I've seen big dual sports stuck in center consoles done that way. I think for a sailboat its more problematic. Getting the thing up on the foredeck got to be hard so think it might be easier using a rigid old school dinghy or even a flat bottom aluminum fish boat. As said bikes don't like salt water but he did it only twice a season with a good detailing after each passage. Ran my KTM on the beach and you could not get by with just the spray cleaner then a hose. Salt water on the hot bits really needs a hard cleaning. Needed a toothbrush cleaning and elbow grease. Took longer to clean than the rides.
I guess the other choice is to find an old 125cc 2 stroke and take the wheels off it. They don't weigh much and seem to run regardless of how badly abused. Easy to wrench. Rusts out-get another one.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Motorcycle davits. Dock stern to quay and drop and ride.
That would work. Still will rust quickly though.

Met a couple in the Bahamas back in the 90s. They had ridden around the world on a Honda CX 500 and were now circumnavigating on an old wooden 30 footer.

I asked them one evening if it had been hard to sell the bike and they showed me it stowed in the fore cabin. Forks off and rear wheel out.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts