SailNet Community banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

· Banned
8,867 Posts
Reaction score
I have ridden & sailed, but not at the same time. Unless you had an old junked out trials bike it would be a real hand full trying to move it around the boat. Maybe better to ride one day & sail the next. It would probably be hard to start after it went over the side. :D

Paul T

· Master Mariner
9,540 Posts
Reaction score
We carried a Vespa across the SoPac, and other than having to register it in NZ, it was a lot of fun. I drove, with the kid between my legs and the wife behind. Got in some island touring that never would have happened if we'd had to use local transport.
The thing was big and pretty heavy, but it fit nicely down the forward hatch, and though it was work, it could be hoisted out of there and swung onto the dock fairly easily. It didn't hurt that she was a gaff rigger, so we had lots of block and tackles aloft, though not one winch aboard.
I would suspect that these days, if you are sailing internationally, you'll need to get it registered and possibly even pay duty, everywhere you put a motorized vehicle ashore.

· Registered
135 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Vespa would be a nice bike. I remember the first vespas when i was a child. How patiently i was waiting the adults to let me borrow the bike around the block. So much FUN. You know, there is no summer without a bike. Possibly a boat too

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
the issue like capta says is registration every where you go, nowadays you will get stopped everywhere if you dont have a local plate...even in places you dont think will stop you

for those reasons foldable commuter pedal bikes wins hands down...of course the issue there is range and exercise! jajaja

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
if it looks like a motorcycle you will have issues many places

my recomendation would be to use bicycles and get motor kits electric or 2 stroke to adapt to the bikes they are all over ebay and elecric parts places...

down here they sell these kits and they are AWESOME for like $150

you have the best of both worlds really

other things are electric standup mopeds and scooters...like kids like to play with

again 2 stroke or electric

they are very small and thin so storage is easier...

· Registered
5,979 Posts
Reaction score
Rust is something easily preventable with maintenance and care, oil, grease and paint.
How in the world do you think Navy's do it and have done it for decades, with iron even.

I'd not do a motorcycle, but would consider and electric/light gas scooter. I don't walk well (circulation issues) - what's the point if sailing the world to visit places and being limited to 100 yards of the shoreline?
Then again, I'm not on a 30 foot, and if I can lift it it's not heavy.

· Registered
393 Posts
Reaction score
maybe something smaller then. like a vespa that someone previously said
Even the basic Vespa is over 200 pounds. Nothing simple about securing 200 pounds of dead weight on deck, much less loading and unloading.

You never really mentioned your sailing area or range. As several have said, taking just about any motor vehicle into other countries is a PITA. OTOH, if you're staying relatively local, that's not as big a concern.

· Banned
8,867 Posts
Reaction score
Even the basic Vespa is over 200 pounds. Nothing simple about securing 200 pounds of dead weight on deck, much less loading and unloading.

You never really mentioned your sailing area or range. As several have said, taking just about any motor vehicle into other countries is a PITA. OTOH, if you're staying relatively local, that's not as big a concern.
In my 30 years of riding dirt bikes I found that they will ALWAYS fall away from you, like on the downside of a very steep hill, or over the side, in your case, ALWAYS. :D

Paul T

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
man I miss my restored xr600R!

jejeje

peace

get a bike and a moped kit and youll be fine and dandy all over the world

thats what I would do

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
dude read up! its done all over the world! I have some pretty cool pics of some simple mountain bikes with a 3-5hp 2 stroke engine on the rear wheel with an awesome metal 1 galon tank ontop the top tube

they can be had for cheap, are practical and you have the best of both worlds, range and pedal power

if seen guys row out to the beach, unpack a scooter too...those standup types...hop and start the thing and off into exploring

beleive me its fast, lightweight, inexpensive and a much faster and better way to scout your new anchorage and surroundings...
I was so envious of these cruisers when they showed me this

second to that would be a standard bike or foldeable bike

but as an avid motorcyclist like other on here a motorcylce on deck is a no go

ps. I know this cause I was about to start a trip to south america on bike and in panama there are charter sailboats that make a living taking riders over the darien gap by sail into colombia

in just a weeks trip the riders have to completely grease, tarp and wd40 everything and most times they have some sort of rust or starting issues or wet carbs or ignition etc...

unless you have a 70 footer with a cabin for the bike the motorcycle will not last on deck

peace

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
motorise a bicycle? that doesn't sound right guys. I mean whats the power, the range and at the end a bike doesn't have the brakes to stop i suppose.
its like a hybrid

plus all pedal bikes have breaks

they are pretty simple and neat:)

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.