SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would you put a small motorbike on a 30ft boat? Also, what kind of bike would you want to have, if your intent was to sail throught the great lakes, 3 days at a time, and returning home for a week in between each leg?

· Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Reaction score
I have enough trouble with a bicycle on my 32 foot boat.

It would certainly mean being at a dock to off load it, and that's quite a bit of weight to have come loose in a storm. For only being out 3 days at a time, trying to cart around a motorcycle seems a bit like overkill, aside from not being very practical, or even, as far as I can see, useful.

· Larus Marinus
1,756 Posts
Reaction score
I would chose the lightest most easily compressed bike that would take me back to my car, left at the previous port of call. It needs to get in the back of the car as well as on deck. Lift it on deck with a halyard and lash it down well under or in a protective bag.

· Registered
4,503 Posts
Reaction score
John, where do you store your bicycle ?

· Telstar 28
43,281 Posts
Reaction score
Even a small motorcycle, if it is street legal, is going to be an issue on a 30' boat. You probably don't want to store it below... since the motorcycle has gasoline in the tank... and getting it down the companionway on a 30' boat would be a challenge on most of them. Storing it on deck means that it has to be stored across the stern in some fashion, otherwise it will affect the boat's balance. Having that much weight aft, is going to screw the fore-aft balance of the boat in any case.

· Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Reaction score
Free - for now, just on the side deck. For offshore, I may put it in the cabin.

· Registered
4,503 Posts
Reaction score
Thanks, That works, I tend to walk down one side most of the time, anyway.

· Belliure 41'
136 Posts
Reaction score
I had a BMW K1200RS on the deck of my 33 Irwin about a year ago. I put the bike against the mast (on the bow side) with an extra tire between the bike and the metal. I then put the transmission into first, put a rotor lock through the front wheel, closed the gas valve and tied it up. Went out into some decent wind and waves, the bike never moved or got a scratch on it. Just make sure cabin top can take the weight and you have an emergency plan to get the bike off should you have a problem.

Wish I had a picture, could have gotten that Darwin award I always wanted.

· Registered
5,491 Posts
Reaction score
How much does a K1200RS weigh? Personally, I wouldn't put anything heavier than a crew on deck, and I have a steel 40 footer. Lashing to the mast is probably your best option (complete with a total tarp cover), but it's not a good idea on a sub 40 footer, I think...too much to go wrong. Think of having that dead weight on one side of the mast when you are pounding with the bike on the lee side...the shrouds are holding the mast in column PLUS the weight of the bike just hanging at 20 degrees or more, whereas a person would actively spread their weight on non-skid and wouldn't usually be just hanging off the mast unsupported.

No, I do not like this, Sam I Am.

· Super Fuzzy
17,137 Posts
Reaction score
How would you put a small motorbike on a 30ft boat? Also, what kind of bike would you want to have, if your intent was to sail throught the great lakes, 3 days at a time, and returning home for a week in between each leg?
Bit vague here but there is a long time cruising couple by the name of De Ridder (Jane and Michel) of the yacht Magic Dragon. They have been toting around a small motor bike on MD for donkey's years. From memory it's a small Honda , or similar, around 125cc. If you check out their blog at Setsail.com i'm sure you will find some useful information including how they stow the thing and how they get it on and off the boat.

http://www.setsail.com/s_logs/s_logs.html

I should point out that MD is 40'er and designed for live aboard. Personally I cannot see a practical answer for a 30'er that gives you a bike suitable for long(ish) distances. On our boat , 34', anything bigger than would be suitable for a quick trip to the local shops would be a nightmare to stow. We are looking at a couple of fold up pushbikes.

(now why can't someone invent an inflatable motor bike ?)

· Registered
2,394 Posts
Reaction score
as long as he promises not to let those genius bull terriers try to drive it, whats the problem? :)

· Telstar 28
43,281 Posts
Reaction score
Cam-

You got way too much free time on your hands.

· Registered
11 Posts
Reaction score
There was a tv series call 'The Hairy Bikers Cookbook' and in episode 3 of series one they got 2 motorbikes on a catamaran and sailed to the Isle of Man.

"Episode Three: Si and Dave Do the Isle of Man
For two lifelong bikers and foodies, the chance to combine a trip to the annual TT Races with some serious cooking is irresistible. However, to get a couple of motorbikes onto a catamaran for the trip requires an unusual solution."

I found a pic of the bikes, couldnt find any video online of them putting the bikes on the boat and i cant remember what they did, although it would prob be a lot easier putting bikes on a catamaran.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.