SailNet Community banner

181 - 184 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
21,625 Posts
When we toured in Southern Germany, we loved grabbing a beer at the end of the day. The only beers most locals carried were from the nearest brewer. You needn’t order by brand, nor care, as they were all good. Just order a regular “bier” or a dark “dunkel bier”. Some carried wheat beers “weiz”, but not all. That was all they had. Zwei dunkel bier bitte, was all the language I needed to know for two weeks. An occasional Guten Morgen was nice, but I said it to a fella I was passing in a hotel hallway and immediately started talking to me. Oops.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Dunkles, Helles or Weizen - sufficient vocabulary to survive in Bavaria :) If you are hungry a "Brez'n" or "Hax'n" will get you through as well. Ordering something with an umbrella or sparkler in it at your own peril. And remember that if you do order a Budweiser it will come from the Czech Republic and not from the USA.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
Congrats on a successful coastal trip Zanshin/Arndt. I am happy to hear that you are moving forward with Zanshin.

When I was in Austria last I liked the Gösser Bock bier but it would be difficult to go too wrong with any of the choices. They know how to make bier in that part of the world, cheese too.

Many years ago I went to a bier garten in Salzburg and the waitresses wore white frilly shirts and long loose dresses with ample cleavage showing and they would carry nearly 15 full pints of beer, on the chest, held in place with their arms. It was pretty impressive. So was the spillage that leaked down their cleavage. That was a long time ago (45 years) so I may be mis-remembering.

Cheers!

181 - 184 of 184 Posts