SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm planning on installing a bulkhead mounted compass, but my electrical panel is on the other side of the bulkhead.

Will the proximity to the electrical panel be a problem. also there is a winch about 10" away, will this effect is accuracy?

On the other side of the companion way is a bunch of radios and a stereo speaker.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
You might be able to make a Faraday enclosure of copper mesh to isolate the compass from the electrical wiring. If the winch is not magnetic (chromed bronze) then it probably will not be an insurmountable problem, but sounds like you need to find another location for the compass.
John

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Hi

I'm planning on installing a bulkhead mounted compass, but my electrical panel is on the other side of the bulkhead.

Will the proximity to the electrical panel be a problem. also there is a winch about 10" away, will this effect is accuracy?

On the other side of the companion way is a bunch of radios and a stereo speaker.

Thanks
Easy to test..
Use a compass any compass (small handheld or the new one).
With the boat at the dock find your magnetic heading with the compass in good distance from all magnetic sources.

Then move the compass to the area where you like to mount the compass.
If the heading changes the magnetic field is to strong in that location.

Do this test with electronics switched on and off.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Problem with gps is it tells you where you are and direction of past movement. OK until you round up in the fog,surrounded by rocks, in irons looking for mob. What's your bearing?
That is a drawback, you do have to be moving. There were times in really thick fog when I didn't believe my GPS, turned around back to my starting point, it was ALWAYS right. :D

Paul T

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I'm faced with a similar problem of where to mount the compass. One side of the companionway is the DC breaker box, the other side is the head. I'm not super crazy about poking a 3 or 4 inch hole in me boat only to discover it is not an ideal mounting location. I'm thinking about mounting the compass in one of the drop boards. More than likely the board will be just a few inches wider than the hole for the compass. People should be able to step over the board without too much trouble.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.