SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - I've got a Wilcox Crittendon Headmate installed in my ODay 30 that it's about time I replace. Since I'm installing all new Trident 101 sanitation hoses, I thought now was as good a time as any.

The mounting for the existing WC head is a bit peculiar, as it only uses what looks like 3 lag bolts into the platform. I can't find a any new head on the market that matches this mounting footprint, so it looks like I need to drill new holes. Are there any other ODay owners out there that have done this? I just want to confirm that it is in fact wood underneath there, and I can drill new holes anywhere I want...

Also, any opinions on electric vs. manual heads is much appreciated. The one I'm replacing is manual.

Thanks!

·
19,485 Posts
Can't see any reason to go electric..

If you're bent on replacing the head, then you need to remove the existing one anyhow - at which point you can see/investigate what's under the glass for fastening to.

Is there a reason why you want to replace it? What are you going to replace it with? Will a rebuild/overhaul not deal with any issues you're having? An equivalent new head will be expensive, a $100 Jabsco will be more or less disposable, but perhaps overall good economy.

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
Hi All - I've got a Wilcox Crittendon Headmate installed in my ODay 30 that it's about time I replace. Since I'm installing all new Trident 101 sanitation hoses, I thought now was as good a time as any.

The mounting for the existing WC head is a bit peculiar, as it only uses what looks like 3 lag bolts into the platform. I can't find a any new head on the market that matches this mounting footprint, so it looks like I need to drill new holes. Are there any other ODay owners out there that have done this? I just want to confirm that it is in fact wood underneath there, and I can drill new holes anywhere I want...

Also, any opinions on electric vs. manual heads is much appreciated. The one I'm replacing is manual.

Thanks!
My boat came with two Wilcox heads and from my research I found they weren't worth rebuilding. They new rebuild parts a lot of times don't work like they should. I had an Raritan pH II that I'm rebuilding and getting a new seat for and will be purchasing a new raritan head eventually for the second.

I can no way tell you advice on electric or not but the phII manual heads are good unit and have many many good reviews all over the net.

- Ronnie...on the geaux

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,667 Posts
My O'day 35 was outfitted with a VacuFlush system when I bought it. What the "professional" installer did was mount the head to a piece of starboard, and screw that in place where the factory head was.

I wish that I had better pix, but I don't often take pictures of the head...

I have since redone 90% of the installation, and love it. It would be a pricy option/upgrade though...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My boat came with two Wilcox heads and from my research I found they weren't worth rebuilding. They new rebuild parts a lot of times don't work like they should. I had an Raritan pH II that I'm rebuilding and getting a new seat for and will be purchasing a new raritan head eventually for the second.

I can no way tell you advice on electric or not but the phII manual heads are good unit and have many many good reviews all over the net.

- Ronnie...on the geaux
Thanks Ronnie - Agreed on the rebuild hazards. It seems like a lot of effort and expense for uncertain return. As well, it's my understanding that the WC Headmate was never a top of the line head to begin with, and I'm pretty sure it's been rebuilt more than once in the past. For just over twice of what the rebuild kit costs I could just buy a cheapie Jabsco and save myself a lot of time.

Were you able to match up the mounting footprint from the old WC Headmate to the new PHII, or did you just drill new holes and fill in the old?

Cheers,
Patrick

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My O'day 35 was outfitted with a VacuFlush system when I bought it. What the "professional" installer did was mount the head to a piece of starboard, and screw that in place where the factory head was.

I have since redone 90% of the installation, and love it. It would be a pricy option/upgrade though...
Thanks for sharing the pictures and advice. While I'm hoping that I wont have to go over the whole mount with the piece of starboard, that seems like a great solution if all else fails. Looks like your ODay 35 head is quite different from the 30...and in excellent shape!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts