SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of planning the location of new instruments on my PSC 31.
IMHO the wind depth and speed should be in a location where the entire crew can view the data. Having crewed on a few boats with bulkhead mounted displays I find that the data is more often covered by running rigging or a crew member. I have seen a few displays wiped out by a knee from an energenic crew member who braces himself against the bulkhead when trimming a line.
This is why I have decided that over the companionway is a good choice, problem is in routing the cables to the seahood. There is a wire chase above the hanging locker in the corner outside the head bulkhead. There does not seem to be enough room to drill over the top of the wire chase to drill into the headliner area.
Any ideas of how to route the cables over to the seahood area?
I am planning on fabing a teak housing that will mount over the seahood with a stainless steel tube wire chase comming from the both sides of the housing, making a right angle to the coachroof.
Thanks,
Steve
PSC 31 #125
Ryoko

·
19,489 Posts
Your plan sounds reasonable.. you may want to spend the money on having the SS chase bent rather than fabricated from elbows and straight bits of pipe. It will look better and ease the wire feeding chores.

I hear what you're saying about the bulkhead mounted instruments often being obstructed, but in our experience the companionway is another popular hangout, and anyone sitting/standing there will similarly block your view!

I'm waiting for the HUD option for my eyeglasses!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Faster,
You must sail a dry boat, my glasses seem to attract salt water. Anyone hanging around the companionway will be forced to walk the plank. Thanks for the suggestion of bending the pipe. My biggest problem is getting cables out of the bilge and across the headliner, I'm sure someone has tackled this situation before.
Regards,
Steve

·
19,489 Posts
On our last boat we had a similar situation vis a vis the wiring to the companion-way mounted instruments, and it had no headliner per se.

The wires were bundled and basically zap-strapped to the overhead, an eyesore that I always intended to address but never got around to it while we owned her.

My plan had been to rip some white PVC pipe in half on a table saw, clean it up and drill the edges to mount it around the wires as a half-round conduit. Another thought was to use the thinner walled plastic pipe like that supplied for those central vacuum cleaning setups. You could similarly cut the elbows if you needed to make some turns.. here's where the thinner walled product would result in a less bulky look.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
That's a tricky one.

I might bring the power and data cables up from the battery compartment, through the quarterberth overhead, then into the headliner just to port of the sliding hatch.

Would love to see photos of the finished product!!

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
If the goal is crew visibility, why not mast mounted displays? This would also simplify wiring, IMO.
NOLA,

You are thinking like a racer!!:)

I haven't seen any photos of Steve's boat, but we cruisers typically have dodgers that rarely if ever get folded down!

Also, our cruising crew are in the cockpit, not on the rail!;)

P.S.

Steve, are you in Scituate harbor?

·
19,489 Posts
Once a racer, always a racer, even when cruising, Cam. We raced for years but no longer race our current boat. Yet it drives me nuts that my first mate can seemingly always park herself in my line of sight to our knotmeter regardless of where I happen to be steering from... If I can't know I'm getting everything I can out of the boat I get antsy.

·
Warm Weather Sailor
1,040 Posts
I'm seldom on the wheel as 90% of the time I'm on autopilot but I like to keep an eye on the instruments so I mounted mine on the coachroof with a Navpod. Works fine. Better than bulkhead mounted, better than pedestal mounted.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NOLA,

P.S.

Steve, are you in Scituate harbor?

I've been happily sailing out of Hull, Allerton Harbor, for the past 12 years.
I would be happy to post a pic of the finished project but it may take some time.
The quarterberth routing idea is one that I will check into, I did think briefly about some sort of teak or white case over the headliner but decided against it.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
I've been happily sailing out of Hull, Allerton Harbor, for the past 12 years.
Nice spot. You must have lots of fun running the gut, especially when the ferry is coming in!!:eek: Three-blade prop I hope. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice spot. You must have lots of fun running the gut, especially when the ferry is coming in!!:eek: Three-blade prop I hope. :)
You know the area well, you've spent some time in this area?
You're right,the old displacement ferries can leave an enormous wake but most of the newer ferries are planning cats. Although they are moving much quicker the captains are very courteous. The same cannot be said for the weekend warriors that pilot their enormous, overpowered vessels at break neck speeds through this incredibly narrow and busy channel. ( nuf said bout that)
Ryoko has a two blade prop, she'll be fine. One of our previous boats, a sabre 34, had a martec folding prop and occasionally when we had to motor sail through against the tide we were OK.
Once I get the wind depth and speed settled I am moving on to C80 chart/radar location. Display at the helm or swing out arm from companionway? Radar dome on pole,backstay or mast? I'm leaning toward pole mount, the pole seems more versatile. Backstay is much neater. Mast mount, although higher, seems more vulnerable.

·
19,489 Posts
A pole or backstay mount makes it easier to install the display at the helm, where it's most useful IMO. Often the amount of cable supplied with the radar unit doesn't reach all the way back to the cockpit if the dome is mast mounted.

If leaving the radar display unit out at the helm is a problem many of them have quick disconnects and a releasable mount to store below when not needed.

Mast mounts are generally harder on your headsails than anything else!

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Yeah, I grew up just a bit south of there. I love passing through the Hull Gut -- the only place worse than that I know of on the South Shore is the Gut between Trouants Island and the Forth Cliff spit on the South River. I was just kidding about the prop -- I'm sure you'll be fine with the two-blade.

Our radar antenna is on the mast -- never had a problem with that location. Our display is above and to the left of the chart table on a rotating underdeck mount. I can see it (but not operate it) from the companionway. Closer to or in the cockpit would be better.

You must have a brand new or nearly brand new boat? I didn't realize they were that far along in the hull numbers yet.

You know the area well, you've spent some time in this area?
You're right,the old displacement ferries can leave an enormous wake but most of the newer ferries are planning cats. Although they are moving much quicker the captains are very courteous. The same cannot be said for the weekend warriors that pilot their enormous, overpowered vessels at break neck speeds through this incredibly narrow and busy channel. ( nuf said bout that)
Ryoko has a two blade prop, she'll be fine. One of our previous boats, a sabre 34, had a martec folding prop and occasionally when we had to motor sail through against the tide we were OK.
Once I get the wind depth and speed settled I am moving on to C80 chart/radar location. Display at the helm or swing out arm from companionway? Radar dome on pole,backstay or mast? I'm leaning toward pole mount, the pole seems more versatile. Backstay is much neater. Mast mount, although higher, seems more vulnerable.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Our radar antenna is on the mast -- never had a problem with that location.

You must have a brand new or nearly brand new boat? I didn't realize they were that far along in the hull numbers yet.

Your headsails don't chafe or is the solution a "raydome" patch? I like the idea of a rotating pod for the display how could I make a rotating display work on the wheel guard?
Ryoko is probably the last 31 completed and delivered to a dealer from the Ca factory. We will be the first to commision her in the spring so we have been very busy outfitting her. The latest hull fitted out,#128, is currently for sale in Annapolis. Seems that Pacific Seacraft did not want to take her home (just a guess) so she is being brokered by Crusader.
I'm not sure of the disposition of #126, was told she was bought back from bankruptcy court by the "owner" and then completed?? #127???
Anyway we are thrilled to have her, "one of the two happiest days in a sailors life."

Faster said:
A pole or backstay mount makes it easier to install the display at the helm, Mast mounts are generally harder on your headsails than anything else!
The pole option would certainly make it easier to run the cables. I'm always concerned with weight aloft, the pole adds weight but it is lower. The mast mount is lighter but higher, which is more desirable?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, I grew up just a bit south of there. I love passing through the Hull Gut -- the only place worse than that I know of on the South Shore is the Gut between Trouants Island and the Forth Cliff spit on the South River. I was just kidding about the prop -- I'm sure you'll be fine with the two-blade.
I have passing familiarity with Trounts Island and Fourth Cliff. :) Once got stopped by the current and had to back out and anchor.

·
Nearly an Old Salt
264 Posts
IN my experience, instruments and radar/chartplotter shoudl if possible be mounted above or too left or right of the companionway. The trend towards wheel mounted consoles of instruments is all wrong as this is the place you spend least amount of time on any long passages. With todays equipment mounting teh radar/cp below is nonsense, by all means have a networked duplicate if you really need it. But its in the cockpit that you need to have it close by.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Your headsails don't chafe or is the solution a "raydome" patch? I like the idea of a rotating pod for the display how could I make a rotating display work on the wheel guard?
Chaffing has not been an issue for us. We don't have a "patch" on the headsail, I think it's that the radome is rounded and smooth enough that there really isn't a problem.

I should have added that our monitor/screen is the older CRT variety and not suitable for exterior mounting. At least, I don't know whether it's waterproof or not, but in any event it's much too bulky for abovedecks compared to the modern flat-screens.

I have passing familiarity with Trounts Island and Fourth Cliff. :) Once got stopped by the current and had to back out and anchor.
Hi Dave! I had you specifically in mind when I wrote that!:) Hope all is well.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I like the idea of a rotating pod for the display how could I make a rotating display work on the wheel guard?
I never had any problem on my previous C320 with the radome on the mast, and here are some pictures of my solutions to the display on my C320 and my current NC 331. The wheel mount was a bit bulky but gave a perfect straight on view from anywhere in the cockpit. I disconnect and store both the old Radar/Chartplotter on the C320 and the new Chartplotter on the NC from these mountings and store below.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts