SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
[*]Is it desirable to have whatever mount I use adjustable or is completely flat acceptable?
I rate the ability to aim panels as being a HUGE benefit, and think it's critical on smaller boats like ours, as it allows you to get away with somewhat smaller panels than you might need if they always fixed horizontally... Not to mention, the advantage that smaller and more 'portable' panels can be stowed when not in use, or in heavy weather, etc...

I run into a fair number of East coast snowbirds who turn out to be disappointed in the performance of their panels over the course of a winter in the Bahamas. The primary reason, I believe, is that many tend to underestimate how low the sun - even as far south as the Bahamas - remains in the sky throughout the course of the day in wintertime... They're sacrificing a LOT of potential output, by not having the ability to articulate their panels... If at all possible, make them adjustable, is my recommendation...

I don't have any data, but I'm pretty certain that my daily solar output over the course of a sunny day up in Labrador this summer, probably exceeded that of an equivalent sunny midwinter day in Florida or the Bahamas... And, that's largely chalked up to the ability to articulate my comparatively small panels, and have them making amps from shortly after sunrise, until shortly before sunset...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts