SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok just so i dont get a tongue lashing from certain people on here i have

an Irwin 28' 1976

I need to know how far up to mount the motor. currently there is an existing mount pad that is approx 10x 10 maybe bigger just about the cockpit drain looks to be about 16 inches from the stern top deck. and it is dead center of the stern. just seems to me to be down very low ...but i'm a new owner and just learning. so is there a rule of thumb? too high ...sure... too low? besides the obvious.

fixed mount or a raise and lower one. my motor is a johnson 9.9 long shaft. do i want it to be about where the inboard prop would be in relation to the water ?

thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Your outboard owners manual should tell you the recommended mounting position. Usually they give a range in relation to how many inches the center of the prop should be below water line. Or, they might specify by refering to how deep the anticavitation plate should be.

If your motor is too deep, you might have a tendancy to plow a bit, might not exaust efficently, etc. Too shalow, you'll not get the power you want.... etc. But, if I were you, I would not worry too much about a silght err on the side of deep. In bouncy seas, you want that prop in the water. If you don't have the owners manual, look on line at the manufactures site.... they probably have it on line. ...just my two cents

1 - 2 of 2 Posts