1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can think of two:

Captain Ron
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0103924/
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
<o:p> Around Cape Horn</o:p>
http://www.amazon.com/Around-Cape-Horn-Johnson-Sailing/dp/B000W8MMO2
<o:p> </o:p>
<o:p> I'm not looking for instructional vidoes like the Pardee stuff. That's another thread.</o:p>
<o:p>I'm looking for adventure, history whatever that has a story but is some large part about the boat.</o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
<o:p>What else do you have?</o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
33 Posts
A bit obscure, but a classic 80's John Cusack movie has a bit of sailing... Hot Pursuit.

Also Summer Rental with John Candy has a little.

How about Dead Calm? Another obscure late 80's, movie with Sam Niell, Nicole Kidman and Billy Zane. Actually I think this whole movie takes place on a sailboat. I don't think there is any land in the whole movie. That's kind of rare.

Lastly, Perfect Storm. It doesn't have much sailing, but what little sailing it does have is pretty awesome to watch. And there is just a ton of great ocean footage (whether real or fake...)

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Did we forget " Master and Commander"?

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I have a copy of wind. I thought the production quality was so poor that it distracted from the film.

Master and Commander is more about on board ship life and fighting tactics in the "Age of Sail."

·
Registered
42 Posts
Movies with Sailing

Try two old classics - "Captain Blood" and "Seahawk" both with Errol Flynn. Sailing scenes were done with small (18 feet long) models, but the story and swordfighting are excellent.

·
Registered
152 Posts
"Deep Water". It's a very compelling movie about the first men to attempt an around the world race. I got it off Itunes. It's a movie that is kinda presented as a documentary.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Captains Courageous, the Spencer Tracy version from the '30's. Some truly beautiful footage of sailing Grand Banks fishing schooners.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Can't think of the name (old-age), had great scenes of bluenose type fishing shcooners racing. I think it had to do with Alaska.
Marc

·
Registered
355 Posts
Got it!

The World in His Arms, 1952. Gregory Peck , Anthony Quinn. One of the interesting things was, when the racing scenes were shot, the heros' boat was supossed to win. But the two schooner crews were so competetive that the other boat won. They had to shoot the race a second time, and the "wrong" boat won again. Ya gotta love it.
Marc

·
umop apisdn wI
26 Posts
Jaws 2. A bunch of kids are on small sailboats having a great time.

A shark then eats them, but up until that time, they were having a great little sail.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts