SailNet Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow sailors. We've run into a bit of a pickle no I'm wondering if someone here might be able to offer some advice / expertise...

We have a boat currently in the BVI / USvI area that we had originally planned to sail up to New York in May. Due to unforeseen circumstances, we now need to make the run up around March 1.

There are a million tips on Sailing down and advice on sailing up in the spring, but not much out there regarding winter months on the eastern coast heading north.

Can anyone offer opinions, routes, weather advice, navigation (make use of parts of ICW?)? Or is the best advice to just leave the boat in hue islands? We really don't want to have to do this, but want to ensure a safe passage up. Is it a matter of just watching weather and expecting it to be one cold trip?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
The route I take is north of the Islands through the Old Bahama Channel, riding the wind and current, to the Florida Keys. From the Keys you can make your way up the East Coast picking weather windows and even using the ICW if you fit under the bridges and over the shallows.

Not as direct as outside the Bahamas but it avoids a wide crossing of the Gulf Stream and once in the US easy access to repair services etc.

Phil
 

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
Joined
·
9,573 Posts
I may be headig to New York again in 2015.
I will be looking at a weather window fro June 1st from Nassau.

I would NEVER, EVER leave in March to do NY straight.

Nor April.

Nor May.


Others may differ, but I am still alive and enjoying my undestroyed sailing boat with a normal blood pressure.


:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,128 Posts
I've been on the water here in March. It's brutal. Higher dense wind and bitter cold. There may be the occasional decent day or two, but never enough strung together for a passage. Temps are tolerable by May for sure. We sail in May every year. However, again the weather is highly variable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
That is terrible time to be out in the ocean for awhile. You're sure to have a couple nasty fronts at least. Depends on your tolerance for weather. Count on many layers. If you do it... make your way to Florida if you can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
919 Posts
Greetings fellow sailors. We've run into a bit of a pickle no I'm wondering if someone here might be able to offer some advice / expertise...

We have a boat currently in the BVI / USvI area that we had originally planned to sail up to New York in May. Due to unforeseen circumstances, we now need to make the run up around March 1.

There are a million tips on Sailing down and advice on sailing up in the spring, but not much out there regarding winter months on the eastern coast heading north.

Can anyone offer opinions, routes, weather advice, navigation (make use of parts of ICW?)? Or is the best advice to just leave the boat in hue islands? We really don't want to have to do this, but want to ensure a safe passage up. Is it a matter of just watching weather and expecting it to be one cold trip?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks..
My advice would be to do your best to change your circumstances to move the date to June.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
The route I take is north of the Islands through the Old Bahama Channel, riding the wind and current, to the Florida Keys. From the Keys you can make your way up the East Coast picking weather windows and even using the ICW if you fit under the bridges and over the shallows.

Not as direct as outside the Bahamas but it avoids a wide crossing of the Gulf Stream and once in the US easy access to repair services etc.

Phil
This would be the way to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,111 Posts
What's the boat?
What's the crew?
How much time can you allow?
Aw, c'mon... Why the need to know such minor details? That's like asking for specifics re The Budget in any of the ubiquitous "Best Boat for a Circumnavigation?" threads around here...

:))

My take is similar to Yorksailor's, though I'd favor going up thru the Bahamas instead of the Old Bahama Channel... Maybe hang in West End for a bit, hoping for a window to shoot for Charleston or thereabouts... Otherwise, playing it by ear up the coast, keeping mindful of that fact that March is probably one of the worst months of the year to be anywhere in the vicinity of Cape Hatteras...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,203 Posts
Jon I asked because like you infer that info makes the decision.
If he on a small boat and has the time short hopping south of the islands then doing the ditch makes sense.
If he on a big well found boat with experienced crew then riding the trades north of the islands and if weather is good maybe even the stream may make sense.
If he is very confident in his boat and crew and the boat is fast enough ( think gunboat or open kind of fast) with good weather routing just doing the rhumb line may make sense.
If I had to make this trip on my boat would go north of the islands. Jump to lauderdale. Then hop up the coast. I would allow sufficient time ( possibly sending crew home if necessary) to ensure decent survivable weather. I would not do the rhumb line with just Bermuda as the only bailout.. I would not wish to have to be concerned about rages, wind against current, nor easters, or the violence of the North Atlantic in winter so adequate time would be required.
I don't think this question is answerable without requested info which is why this is my second and last post on this thread until details provided.
 

·
Old enough to know better
Joined
·
4,354 Posts
I may be headig to New York again in 2015.
I will be looking at a weather window fro June 1st from Nassau.

I would NEVER, EVER leave in March to do NY straight.

Nor April.

Nor May.

Others may differ, but I am still alive and enjoying my undestroyed sailing boat with a normal blood pressure.

:)
Well to take the thread on a tangent, let us know and we can put together a sailnet party!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,641 Posts
The boat, the crew, the weather, and if the wx is simply no good, you cancel the trip.

In any case, can I sell you some life insurance? Not that the trip can't be done but you really want to get your ducks in order, and expect that all of the above, and the weather, will be really critical.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,128 Posts
Another idea is to have it transported aboard one of the yacht carrier ships. It doesn't look like Dockwise does Caribbean to RI anymore, but Seven Stars still does. They depart Apr 28 from St Thomas to Newport RI. Comparatively no fuss, no muss. You don't worry about weather, crew, provisioning or ocean passage commissioning. By comparison to over the road transport, its simple and, I believe, less stress on the boat. For starters, you don't have to drop and then restep the mast, let alone the keel, if she's a big boat going over the road.

Sevenstar Yacht Transport - Let The Best Ship Your Yacht
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,546 Posts
My bones are feeling real cold just thinking of it.
Indeed. I would splash my boat in late March on Long Island to bring it into New York to live aboard until December. That water in Long Island Sound was cold and it was a mild winter. Glad I had an ESPAR heater on board. I shudder to think what it would be like in early March. Especially this year Here's what the Sound looked like a last Sunday:
Long Island Sound frozen as far as the eye can see off of Cedar Beach Mount Sinai pic.twitter.com/uVPwF1LbZG

- Electric Sailor (@ElectricSailing) February 23, 2015
Going to be a long time before it warms up this year. Happily, I no longer have a need to launch by April these days. But, it would be a cold trip up the coast too.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top