SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Boat shopping
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm currently in a Viking 33. I am 6'-0" tall and I cannot stand up in most of the boat and I'm tired of hitting my head. The wife and I are starting to cruise more and find that after 3 days on board we NEED to get off. I love how this boat sails! she handle beautifully and has a very slippery hull, deep keel and points like nobody's business! However we really want some creature comforts. Like, at least a swim platform, I think this can be added to the right boat, A stand-up shower and a usable galley. A large cockpit is also on the want list for entertaining.

We don't race but we like to go fast.

My thoughts are to either buy a suitable older boat and have her modified to what we want or go for a new boat. We like the Jeanneau 349 but my fear is the quality of the new boats and the composites they use. I love the solid hull on my viking. The wife really loves the light open felling of the newer boats and I'm only even considering them for her sake.

I'd like to start a conversation on this and hopefully come to a conclusion. I feel that a new boat will depreciate quickly and a refurb of an older boat will offer a better quality built boat overall and the value will remain largely the same.

I have, until now, rehabbed 2 boats from the brink of the crusher. Although I enjoyed the process and have a strong sense of accomplishment, I don't want to do it again. I want to find a boat, have the work contracted out by a reputable yard and end up in a turn key situation. I'm getting a bit older and just want a boat, in great shape, that I can simply maintain and sail more than work on.

I'm looking forward to all the tips, suggestions and insights!!

Thanks,
Danny

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Danny,

After all the work you put in? I looked at the 349 at the boat show. Liked the layout, hated the quality. Cheaped out on winches, stove etc. Look for a C&C 34+ or 37+. The quality and sailing ability you already have with the amenities you want.

Joel

·
Boat shopping
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Joel,

I know!!! someone is going to get a really nice Viking 33!! I think I'm going to throw this question at the C&C list too.

I'd like to stay away from the cored hull though...

We just want to spend more time aboard and need some more room for that to be a pleasant experience.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Cored hulls are fine if they are dry. These are cored above the waterline I beleive.

Of course, there has to be a budget involved here! Passport 40 is a great cruiser.

Can't wait to see the responses!

·
Somewhat Senior Member
619 Posts
We've found the Catalina 387 to be exceptionally comfortable. Great head room, separate shower, huge cockpit, easy engine access, well laid out galley w/3-burner stove, double S/S sink, refrig & freezer. She doesn't point as well as our previous boat, a Sabre 34, but she's a comfortable cruiser. May not be the boat for you but worth a look.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
If you are looking at modern and performance-oriented mass produced boats you should also look at the J/boats that have more cruiser features like the J/109.

It has the modern "european" layout that your wife seems to like (aft head, aft cabin), a big step through transom, sails nicely. Cruise it with a non-overlapping jib and the smaller size spinnaker and you'll have a lot of power that is easy to manage.

There are a lot of them for sale around here, which may be true where you are as well, and that means the prices are lower. It seems like the cheaper/slightly smaller J/105 has become a lot more popular in one design racing.

If/when I move up in size I'll be looking at "racer/cruiser" boats like this (or the J/35, or various C&C models). I really like my Pearson, but want the deeper draft and more powerful rig that comes on the more race oriented boats. In <30' it's more of an either/or for high performance or comfortable cruising, but in the mid-30s it seems like you can easily get both.

·
Boat shopping
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't believe this has generated no suggestions,

I'm now going back a bit and looking at C&C 34plus and 37plus

·
Sailboat Reboot
652 Posts
I have a Catalina 42 MK II precisely because of the headroom (I am 6' 6".) Designed by Nelson Merrick rather than Frank Butler its a nice boat. I am very confident of it also - my boat has crossed the Atlantic twice. Many have circumnavigated.

·
Advanced beginner
465 Posts
Has your wife been on an Island Packet yet? I spent a few days on an IP 32 last week was pretty impressed with how comfortable it was. Lots of creature comforts. Tons of headroom and very beamy. I've had darker and smaller apartments, definitely.

Definitely made my Pearson 28-2 feel more like a camper. Not fast, however. And no swim platform.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Three boats to consider are the J34C, J35C and J37C. Most of the performance of a racing J with cruising accommodations. And a lot cheaper than a J109.

·
Boat shopping
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
hello again and thanks for the recommendations.

The wife really does not like the traditional boats. she says the dark wood interior is gloomy and she thinks the teak stinks... even on a brand new boat. This is problematic for me as i love a beautifully done wood interior.

A friend has me considering a Norlin 37. But. it has an ALL wood interior, no swim platform or a stand up shower. However, wow what a beauty! she needs work but, i don't think there is anyway to convince the admiral this is the next boat for us...

So, Catalinas... these are great cruising boats with lots of creature comfort but, how do they sail?

J boats are fast but, what about the build quality and fit out? I really don't know too much about them. I know they can be a little pricey. so can a Catalina for that matter.

I'm kinda stuck on the C&C 37plus and 34plus right now. There are a few around here and I just called a broker on one.

I'd kind of like to find a great lakes boat. i think the fresh water would have been kinder to a boat over time. i say this after having seen what it did the Atomic 4 on my viking!

anyway, my search continues!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts