SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone familiar with Musto Offshore MPX? I am curious about the sizing. I am going to get a set. I am a mid large, but I am wondering if I should get a large or an extra large? How do they run, as I will be sailing the Northeast so will likely have layers on under it. This is my first official foul weather gear, and am not sure how loose I want them. If they will be annoying if too big, I will get a large. Cost is not an issue as these will be free to me.

·
Registered
778 Posts
MPX = Da Bomb

Good quality stuff. I had my first MPX jacket for something like 10yr before it lost its water repellence

I'd say that L will probably fit, but XL is a better bet for layers. Husband is 6'1" and about 200lb, and XL is working well for him, including layers. The salopettes are some of the best gear we have - very versatile

·
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am 5'10" and Just shy of 200. I was looking at there size chart and looks like I fall between Large and X-Large, I just don't want the arms to be too long. Wish I could try them on. Has anyone compared them to West Marine, as when I was there the XL was way to big ware. I am pretty excited to get them, it was a sweepstakes prize.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Cool! Congratulations. That's a great prize!

They are sized a bit large in order to fit many layers underneath. I'm 5'11" ~220 and my set is an XL and would fit me nice if I weighed 250 or even a bit more. Plenty of room. If I had to guess, I would say an L for your size.

Landfall Navigation in Stamford, CT typically has MPX stuff in stock that you could try on. That's not too far of a drive from Beacon, NY and it's a cool store to visit for a lot of things.

·
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool! Congratulations. That's a great prize!

They are sized a bit large in order to fit many layers underneath. I'm 5'11" ~220 and my set is an XL and would fit me nice if I weighed 250 or even a bit more. Plenty of room. If I had to guess, I would say an L for your size.

Landfall Navigation in Stamford, CT typically has MPX stuff in stock that you could try on. That's not too far of a drive from Beacon, NY and it's a cool store to visit for a lot of things.
I have seen there web site, never even thought to see where they are located.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I have Musto BR1 bibs. I think those are their "coastal" product, I'm not sure if they're sized the same as their offshore.

But anyway, I'm 5' 9" and about 175 lbs and the medium fits me quite well with room for layers. They say their M is for a 32" waist (which I am) but they obviously size it assuming there would be layers underneath.

·
Registered
25,126 Posts
....I just don't want the arms to be too long.......
I've never had a quality sailing jacket that didn't have either a waterproof cuff under the outer layer or a velcro tab to cinch the wrist, or both. You want them to limit water from running up your arm when you raise it while raining. If sleeves are a tad long, this usually coincidentally deals with it. Better a tad long/big then short/small.

Reactions: StormBay

·
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey it arrived today! Couple of things, I am glad I went with large as it fits fine. I likely would have been OK with XL but had actually considered getting medium from reports of them being big. So I think they currently are running at most true to size. I was a bit surprised to see made in China on it, as I thought Musto still made there high end stuff in the UK. I could have used it yesterday as we had torrents of rain all day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts