SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't think so.

But hardship and raging sea will make us all better sailors. Perhaps it gives us more appreciation when kindness comes in our way.

This is my first delivery this year from Jamaica to FLL. My dark tanned skin from last year was all gone. After my two back to back deliveries last summer after the mutiny TransPac race, I need to focus on my work and the family. I am back again in sailing the big ocean.

Here are a few picture I took about my trip:

The boat is a 2006 59 ft Fractional cutter rig, designed by Robert Perry for the owner. This was his second boat done by Perry. The owner has sailed her from SoCal thru Panama and eventually ended on hard at Trinidad. Captain B resumed sailing her thru out Caribbean and ended in Montego Bay. There is where I came in. I knew of this boat for a long time, but I was hesitated to write to him since I am not even a USCG license Captain and no endorsement by the rich and famous. I picked up my courage and wrote to him. He called me and the conversation went well. I was "really really" want sail his boat and learn from him. He has 44 years sail racing experience from Chicago MacRace to TransPac (8 x). I tried so hard to impress him to get on board. I did not hear from him for a few days. I wrote to him again. He replied back, and said: Dude, You are hired. :laugher

I flew down to Jamaica. After unpacked and a late lunch, he put me to work immediately for some urgent things before we can head out. Because of the size of the boat, her system is so complicated and was built with safety redundancy. I told Captain B that the biggest boat I have sailed was 45 ft production boat. .... LOL.

Urgent items:
1. 24 volt system is not charging or loss charging rapidly.
2. two refrigerators are not working
3. water Contamination of Starboard tank (two integrated tanks with 175 gal each)
To be continued

Air draft is 85 ft, with three spreaders

I left my mark. After all I am a proud member of MOFYC.

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I am glad that I am not the owner, I don't need to sweat in front the Custom of Jamaica. Don't laugh, the owner filled out about 14 forms and I filled 6 forms because Captain B was so fed up, before we were cleared to sail back to U.S.

Their country, their rules. Don't they have a photocopier …… LOL

At least we had a local to move our provision onto the boat. Hahah…. It used to be my job.

Two Freezers and two refrigerators, each has its own compressor. You talk about redundancy at sea.

Huge winch, Lewmar 66

8 winches in the cockpit, total 11 winches plus windlass. There is one winch in the Owner state room below deck for the halyard of two headsails.

Reactions: eherlihy

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Not too many boat can place the big dingy behind the mast

Plenty of fishes or least Barracuda, we have to release all of them.

We kept this one for dinner. Not sure what it was, Jack? Edited: Confirmed as a horse-eye Jack.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,667 Posts
VERY Awesome!
I hope to be teaching Sailing this summer. I HAVE my Captain's License, and I can only dream of a delivery like that...

You know, I probably could have fixed the 24V system...
[EDIT] And I bet that Denise O30 probably could have fixed the refrigeration...

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: jimgo

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
Maybe Yellowtail ?
It's a Crevalle jack, potentially a very dangerous fish to eat, in many places. Always ask a local about any fish you are unfamiliar with, in tropical waters. If in doubt, do not eat it.
This fish is second only to barracuda in it's potential for Ciguatera poisoning.

Reactions: chef2sail

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a Crevalle jack, potentially a very dangerous fish to eat, in many places. Always ask a local about any fish you are unfamiliar with, in tropical waters. If in doubt, do not eat it.
This fish is second only to barracuda in it's potential for Ciguatera poisoning.
Thanks for the info. We were lucky that we did not get sick. The meat is not the best. But our younger crewmate went back for a second helping.

If you look at the picture again, the fish was bitten by other fishes. As we reeled in the fish, there were hundred of fishes chasing after the poor guy.

·
Banned
12,357 Posts

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Only one gas grill? :D
My thought exactly !!! Where is the Jacuzzi :laugher.

On the day of departure, I told the Capt I would fill top up the water tanks. He said: Don't bother. His water maker can make over 40 gal per hour. In this trip I enjoyed long hot shower everyday. In the past I was lucky if I could have a gal of water to shower.

I am a spoiled brat now. :)

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
She is one sweet Ride!!

I crewed on her 2006 delivery back from Puerto Vallarta.
She made the Baja Bash feel like a downhill slide.

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's awesome Dog!

So, are you the J-crew looking dude straddling the boom or the Mr. Clean sitting at the helm? Where to next?
Hahah.... I was a photographer behind the camera. The J-crew kid was a Brit but lives in Jamaica. The poor kid was sick for 3 days; the total trip took us 4.5 days.....LOL.

Our next step is to take the boat up to Chesapeake Bay for some maintenance work and repairs and out of the Hurricane paths. We have a few potential crews we can pick from. I am thinking to fly down to FLL next week. Three of us will take her up north when weather window opens up. The trip will take 4 days going outside the ICW.

I discussed with the Captain, Bermuda Race this year is out because the deadline is April 1. Getting crews is hard part. We decided to take her to Maine, Nova Scotia and New Newfoundland.

Once the boat is in the Bay, I hope some of you can come to sail with us. She is a magnificent boat that she should not be sitting at the dock.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts