SailNet Community banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
RockDawg,,,,,you are getting valuable experience and having a great time!! Living life with passion. I don't understand the negativity. Uncalled for IMO.
Sometime I do that especially on Sailnet. :( You did not what they have done to me in the past. Even the moderator jumped on the troll bandwagon. She even insulted me.

Elephant never forgets. I am an elephant. :)

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I was frantically looking for a Marinas to take us. With 8.5 ft draft, FLL is not a place.
Really? Damn, I hope someone informs Steven Spielberg's captain of that pronto, SEVEN SEAS must be thoroughly stuck in the mud sitting at Pier 66 with her 13' draft... :)

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Really? Damn, I hope someone informs Steven Spielberg's captain of that pronto, SEVEN SEAS must be thoroughly stuck in the mud sitting at Pier 66 with her 13' draft... :)

Unfortunately, there are a few marinas in FLL said to us the they can't take us. Their minimum requirement is 100 feet. It is all relative and depending on your last name.

FLL and Miami are too rich for me. We ended up motoring down to Turnberry Isle Marina in North Miami, next day. In the middle of no where surrounded by motor yachts and concrete piers to high that it aims for Motor yachts. We were the only sailboat. :D

·
Registered
5,111 Posts

Unfortunately, there are a few marinas in FLL said to us the they can't take us. Their minimum requirement is 100 feet. It is all relative and depending on your last name.

FLL and Miami are too rich for me. We ended up motoring down to Turnberry Isle Marina in North Miami, next day. In the middle of no where surrounded by motor yachts and concrete piers to high that it aims for Motor yachts. We were the only sailboat. :D
Turnberry? Wow, you guys went WAY out of the way, didn't you? :)

100' minimum, huh? Well, that's a new one on me... Bahia Mar has had a 40' minimum for the last 10 years or so, but I would be surprised if even 1/4 of their individual slips can even accommodate 100', or more...

Next time, you might head up to the City docks at Las Olas. They'll take anyone, they even take my little tub, and I don't have an important last name. Their rates, by Lauderdale standards, are quite reasonable, and the location is tough to beat - a couple of blocks from the beach, and a short walk to the Quarterdeck, a great pub and popular hangout for sailors and yacht crews. The procession of boat traffic is always a great show, the only downside is a bit of road noise from the Las Olas Bridge, but you'd be docked further further away with a boat the size of FRC... Bahia Mar is the place to be if money is no object, but when I'm picking up the tab myself, Las Olas is where I'll go if staying in a marina in Lauderdale...

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
fort lauderdale is great, except most docks wont let you work on your boat...I got in trouble even at my grandpas docks

we even stopped at pier 66 as an honor to my grandfather after doing our coast to coast cruise

the funny looks we got from the rich folk with our wooden tattered seasoned boat was memorable and funny

we got a little diesel...went under the bridge(while snapping off the vhf antenna, jajaja as an ode/miscalculation to the last part of our trip) and docked off isle of venice to finish the trip

anywhoo

good memories

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Turnberry? Wow, you guys went WAY out of the way, didn't you? :)

100' minimum, huh? Well, that's a new one on me... Bahia Mar has had a 40' minimum for the last 10 years or so, but I would be surprised if even 1/4 of their individual slips can even accommodate 100', or more...

Next time, you might head up to the City docks at Las Olas. They'll take anyone, they even take my little tub, and I don't have an important last name. Their rates, by Lauderdale standards, are quite reasonable, and the location is tough to beat - a couple of blocks from the beach, and a short walk to the Quarterdeck, a great pub and popular hangout for sailors and yacht crews. The procession of boat traffic is always a great show, the only downside is a bit of road noise from the Las Olas Bridge, but you'd be docked further further away with a boat the size of FRC... Bahia Mar is the place to be if money is no object, but when I'm picking up the tab myself, Las Olas is where I'll go if staying in a marina in Lauderdale...
Yea, I wish I know more about FLL. I called so many places and search in Active Captain for more marinas. Turnberry was only say yes to us at $2.1 a foot. Hyatt 66 was $3.5 per ft and and don't want to take us. Turnberry is nice but too far from everything. You need a car.

It is good that Captain B has the boat this size. It is just too big for most of us. The boat has only two cabins-Owner cabin and aft cabin.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts