SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
never convicted
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is purely hypothetical:
I'm 100 miles off-shore, in a perfectly outfitted boat that is in perfect condition, with an expertly trained, experienced crew of 3 people. A freak gale pops up out of nowhere, no warning, as we have been monitoring our weather reports constantly. Suddenly we crash into a submerged cargo container at the exact moment a lightning bolt strikes our mast and brings down our rigging. Our hull is breached from the cargo container and a pod of whales is compounding the damage by ramming us repeatedly. We decide to abandon ship on our perfectly provisioned life-raft. We have food, water, satellite phone, VHF, Epirbs, first aid kit and an i-pod. We radioed a pan-pan to let anyone know our predicament. We feel relatively safe in our life-boat despite 30ft. seas and 60mph winds.
Do we activate our epirbs immediately or do we wait until conditions to calm down so that SAR do not have to be deployed in extreme and dangerous conditions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
I would wait until the I-pod batteries run out. :laugher :laugher

Not really, I think I would activate before even considering to abandon ship.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,705 Posts
The moment you make the decision to step into the life raft is the time to activate because at that time your chances of survival are significantly reduced.
 

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Which of the described events gave you an indication that there might be a problem?
 

·
never convicted
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which of the described events gave you an indication that there might be a probliem?
I think the whales got us thinking..............
 

·
Marine: Educator,Surveyor
Joined
·
83 Posts
Pan Pan

This is purely hypothetical:
I'm 100 miles off-shore, in a perfectly outfitted boat that is in perfect condition, with an expertly trained, experienced crew of 3 people. A freak gale pops up out of nowhere, no warning, as we have been monitoring our weather reports constantly. Suddenly we crash into a submerged cargo container at the exact moment a lightning bolt strikes our mast and brings down our rigging. Our hull is breached from the cargo container and a pod of whales is compounding the damage by ramming us repeatedly. We decide to abandon ship on our perfectly provisioned life-raft. We have food, water, satellite phone, VHF, Epirbs, first aid kit and an i-pod. We radioed a pan-pan to let anyone know our predicament. We feel relatively safe in our life-boat despite 30ft. seas and 60mph winds.
Do we activate our epirbs immediately or do we wait until conditions to calm down so that SAR do not have to be deployed in extreme and dangerous conditions?
You should have put out a mayday when your vessel was going to be lost not a Pan Pan. And yes you do acitivate your epirb when you decided to leave the vessel. You can call the SAR folks (USCG in this case) and advise them of your condition after deploying and boarding the liferaft. You job is not to run the SAR.. let them decide what conditions they can launch in.. that is their business. Your only job is to look after your people and give the SAR folks all the information they need.

John
 

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
I'm waiting for the part where you hack the liferaft canopy to pieces and continue with the BFS experience. (g)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,192 Posts
This is purely hypothetical:
I'm 100 miles off-shore, in a perfectly outfitted boat that is in perfect condition, with an expertly trained, experienced crew of 3 people. A freak gale pops up out of nowhere, no warning, as we have been monitoring our weather reports constantly. Suddenly we crash into a submerged cargo container at the exact moment a lightning bolt strikes our mast and brings down our rigging. Our hull is breached from the cargo container and a pod of whales is compounding the damage by ramming us repeatedly. We decide to abandon ship on our perfectly provisioned life-raft. We have food, water, satellite phone, VHF, Epirbs, first aid kit and an i-pod. We radioed a pan-pan to let anyone know our predicament. We feel relatively safe in our life-boat despite 30ft. seas and 60mph winds.
Do we activate our epirbs immediately or do we wait until conditions to calm down so that SAR do not have to be deployed in extreme and dangerous conditions?
I don't know about you but if all of the events you describe were happening to me I'd throw the epirb overboard.
At that point it's pretty clear.

YOUR NUMBER IS UP! :eek:

Why postpone the inevitable. :laugher
 

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
Joined
·
2,241 Posts
I don't know about you but if all of the events you describe were happening to me I'd throw the epirb overboard.
At that point it's pretty clear.

YOUR NUMBER IS UP! :eek:

Why postpone the inevitable. :laugher
LOL. Ya I'd say it's a BIG FRIGGEN HINT!!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
17,467 Posts
I'm waiting for the part where you hack the liferaft canopy to pieces and continue with the BFS experience. (g)
I was wondering when BFS would enter the conversation. Sway, dude, based on your last excursion, you've singlehandedly branded the whole "big sailing experience" for your BFS contingency as...

Boneheads For Sure.
 

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
I was wondering when BFS would enter the conversation. Sway, dude, based on your last excursion, you've singlehandedly branded the whole "big sailing experience" for your BFS contingency as...

Boneheads For Sure.
I thought that'd get your attention! (g) Nice to see you've figured out I'm a bone head. Have a BFS day.
 

·
never convicted
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I knew when I presented this hypothetical situation, there would be a lot of comedy derived from it (which is why I included the whales and the i-pod). However, thank you for the responses. JHjensen, I understand your position and am not trying to contradict you, but I think what I am trying to get at (and I realize it's different for everyone) is when a Mayday should be called. I know it's for 'grave and imminent danger', but as stated in this hypothesis we feel relatively safe in our liferaft. Not necessarily enjoying the experience, but........And thanks , Bubb, you make an excellent point with the pan-pan. I suppose if we were in constant contact with the CG, they could make the determination as when to send help or if conditions worsened (school of hungry great white sharks) we could decide to pull the trigger.
 

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
"...imminent danger of loss of life or vessel." That's all the thinking you have to do regarding appropriateness of a Mayday.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
17,467 Posts
You should have put out a mayday when your vessel was going to be lost not a Pan Pan. And yes you do acitivate your epirb when you decided to leave the vessel. You can call the SAR folks (USCG in this case) and advise them of your condition after deploying and boarding the liferaft. You job is not run the SAR.. let them decide what conditions they can launch in.. that is their business. Your only job is to look after your people and give the SAR folks all the information they need.

John
Wow - now this is a great take on things, JH. There have been lengthy (and at times ridiculous) discussions around here as to when one should/shouldn't call in SAR - and I think you nailed it on the head.
 

·
never convicted
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JHJ--I re-read your response and agree---
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top