SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to paint the ol bottom. What is the least expensive most eco-friendly paint out there? I'm sure this is already a thread. All I have found was an article calling for more action. Dammit. Let's keep the government (or lack thereof) out of this and demand more paints that don't create three eyed fish and 12 toed children.:mad:

·
Registered
991 Posts
The most eco-friendly paint is not bottom paint. I am considering using nothing. I really like fish. I am probably crazy, too, and don't care about the resale value of my boat. I would try to find the absolute lowest copper paint you can. It will likely work okay in Puget Sound, just don't fret if you get a barnacle!

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
I'll try to have a look at your boats bottom tomorrow with any luck.
Nice sentiment about the fishes and other organisms aquatic but ...
unless you 'dry sail' your boat you are going to need some kind of paint on the bottom or you will end up with a 6" thick beard of marine growth in just one season.
I don't think a wax would last long enough. Some folks say Cayenne pepper works but I have my doubts about whether it works either.
I view the annual bottom maintenance as a necessary evil. I have been using this paint for several seasons with decent results (up the Hudson River from you). West Marine: CPP Plus Antifouling Paint Product Display

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,265 Posts
The most eco-friendly paint is not bottom paint. I am considering using nothing. I really like fish. I am probably crazy, too, and don't care about the resale value of my boat. I would try to find the absolute lowest copper paint you can. It will likely work okay in Puget Sound, just don't fret if you get a barnacle!
More like a few inches of fouling barnacles and mussels that will drive up your energy costs to get your boat to move. It won't work in the Puget Sound.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
There are some non-toxic anti-fouling paints, like ePaint

·
I don't discuss my member
2,633 Posts
What is the least expensive most eco-friendly paint out there?
This is a contradiction in terms. :p

There are non-toxic anti fouling "coatings" available. They are not cheap, generally. Wax is unsuitable for boats that live in the water. Not painting is equally unsuitable, for all the reasons stated here plus the fact that the bottom will be essentially uncleanable after a realtively short time. It's not a good idea.

·
Grasshopper
908 Posts
This is a contradiction in terms. :p

There are non-toxic anti fouling "coatings" available. They are not cheap, generally. Wax is unsuitable for boats that live in the water. Not painting is equally unsuitable, for all the reasons stated here plus the fact that the bottom will be essentially uncleanable after a realtively short time. It's not a good idea.
Since I believe you're in the business, what products have you heard of that are being tested and or are being used in the Clean Harbor program.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,633 Posts
There are many non-toxic anti foulings currently on the market and more being tested here in California (and probably elsewhere.) I don't have a comprehensive list or even any usable first-hand, real world experience with them. They are in such limited use (generally being expensive, difficult to apply and needing frequent cleaning) that I don't see them often, if at all. And as far as the Clean Marina Program goes (at least in California), it does not recommend specific products.

The Port of San Diego is currently conducting tests on a wide variety of copper-free anti foulings. I'm not sure they'd tell you what products they're testing, but you could ask.

·
Grasshopper
908 Posts
At the end of summer it will be time to haul our boat out in Shelter Island, so I guess I'll be finding out what can and can not be used as a bottom paint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts