SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,264 Posts
sounds bad. the way it locks up makes me think a rod came loose. This would allow the engine to rotate backwards, but when you rotate it forward, it comes in contact with the displaced rod. Pull the spark plugs out and check to see that both pistons are going up and down and you move flywheel as much as you can.

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,264 Posts
More often, than not your magneto let go.
Good call. It would have taken me a little more head scratching and skinned knuckles before I got there.

there's definitely nothing obstructing the flywheel. how do i eve take that off to look under it?
That big nut on top presses the flywheel down on a tapered shaft. You'll want to loose that a few turns but leave it on so it doesn't jump off in the next step. If you have a puller, apply it, if not get a friend and two big screw drivers. Wedge the two screw drivers underneath the flywheel on opposite sides and apply some prying pressure and then have your friend give that big nut on top of the tapered shaft a couple wacks with a big hammer to see if she'll pop loose. Leave that big nut even with the top of the threaded shaft so you don't booger it up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.