SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A year or so ago, I invited a fellow Sailnetter to go sailing if he was ever in the New York area. Well, Father's day was the day.

Our guest made his way to our marina that morning with his family. ( Wife and 2 young sons,) To be very up front, I was a little bit apprehensive about this visit on a couple different levels. First, I have had words with this menber in the past. (one of many:)). Secondly, I am a little embarrass about my boat. Over the last 18 months my boat has received minimal attention. I was going to make up for this spring, but spring has not been cooperating. Mechanically she is perfect, but lets say she needs some lip stick.

We pulled out of the marina at noon and in to the Hudson river. We headed North. Sails were raised into a north wind blowing 10 to 15. We decided that we would sail up to Sing-Sing prison (7 miles) thinking for the boys it would interesting. So off we go, sailing to windward the best we can as the river itself runs almost due North and South and the wind coming out of the North.

Our guest was at the Helm, the way I like it. It is not very often that I get to go for a sail boat ride. We are tacking back and forth across the river not making much progress north. I knew this was going to take us some time as we were bucking a falling tide and the current. What I didn't take into account was the flow of the river after all the rain we been having. We were making almost as much leeway as we making progress. But no complains from our guests. I was apologizing for the knotmeter as it was reading mid 5's and I knew the boat was doing better then that, but there must have been some gunk on the paddle wheel.

One more tack and we would be at Sing-Sing and the sky darken. We got rained on, but thats been this spring. We had been at this for 4 hours or so. The boys got to see Sing-Sing but not as close up as we wished before we headed back. On the way back one of the rivers old gaff rigged schooner's was out sailing and we sailed parallel with her 20 yards in her lee exchanging waves with the crew. I think it was the highlight of the day for the boys.

On the last tack to the marina the gunk cleared from the paddle wheel and the knotmeter jumped up to the low 7's. Our helm's man face was nothing but teeth! We were doing half the wind speed, just what we should be doing. I have been telling him all day that we were sailing faster then knotmeter showed, but he believed me now!

He brought the boat into the dock, and as gentle as you wish put her along side, 1 foot off the dock and let the breeze push her gently in.

Oh, Our guest was our own Smackdaddy and his family. And I am going to take this opportunity to publicly "OUT" Smack. He's a nice guy, with a great family. This on-line thing is an alter-ego! It's not the real Smack!

The thing that impressed me the most is his boys. (4 and 7) All afternoon long it was, May I, and Thank You. The way I was raised and the way I tried to raise my own kids. If I said it once, I said it a dozen times "those kids are not from New York." You and Mrs. Smack are doing a great job with those boys.

Thanks again Smack, I had a great day!:D

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Hell, Mike, if you're going to vouch for Smackdaddy... I guess he can't be all bad. :)

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Ain't gonna happen dog. The ego is not THAT "alter".

And bubb was talking me through most of the successful Capn Ron docking. Don't get me wrong....I do rock. But so does he.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Great story Mike and Smack!!! Glad you guys got together. That is what this place is all about!!!

How come we don't have pictures!?? And does Smack really have those broken glasses in real life? HEHE!

Good on ya both,

Brian

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
From most posts of smacks, a pm and email or two, one can tell he is a good guy!

That would have been a fun sail.

Now smacky, when ya gonna get up here to the NW for a ride?!?!?!?! It should be noted, we do not sail on boats with training wheels!:D:D:D:D

Marty

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
No photos? Didn't happen.:D :D :D

The trouble you had with leeway reminds me of a time I was sailing out near the San Juans and the wind was very light with an incoming tide. We were trying to make our way upwind against the current. After several hours tacking back and forth in a narrow pass, we had gone absolutely nowhere.:eek: You guys did much better.:)

Glad you guys got together and that the sailing was decent. :)

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
PS - Bubb, the Smackmutha says thanks too.

Bluto - hells yeah I'm comin' up NW, dude! Don't know exactly when yet. But it's a given.

·
On the hard
3,502 Posts
Maybe we'll get lucky and have Oh Joy feet wet by then. I told you folks smacky was ok. Don't nobody listen to Charlie....

Nice to see you, the boys and the mystery wife (who I never met) had a great time.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Here you go Bubb. The whole crew - with the two little pirates we picked up at Sing Sing.

I'm here to tell you guys, docking with that black cardboard in front of your face is not an easy feat! At least Macy's had matching placards for the whole family. Kind of makes us feel Amish wearing them around - but they're a good look for us.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Good story bubb2, and nice of you to confirm smack has another side. Not to mention the great compliment on his parenting. Thanks yous, and May I's are a real treat to hear coming from a kid, and unfortunately rare. Thanks for sharing......i2f

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
SmackDaddy's in witless protection, which is why none of the photos he's posted ever show his face...

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Dog, I just going to say what I think and if it causes bruised feelings, I can't help that.

Just, Who is the troll here? Smack has not gone out of his way to engage you on this thread. But every time Smack posts you are Johnny on the spot calling him a troll.

I started this thread and I wanted to keep it lite and make it more about kids having a great day sailing. But you have taken every opportunity to name call.

Now, Smack can't share this thread with his boy's with out the Question, "daddy, why is that person calling you a troll."

Have you no discretion what so ever? Have you no power over your compulsions?

You have spoiled this thread for my own son.

Thanks, Dog for all you do!

·
TROUBLE
964 Posts
Hey Mike,

There are too few sailing stories on the forums, so it was great to read yours! Smack and his boys have a memory to share, thanks to you. It's pretty cool for members to get together. Forums can be about many things, but it is possible to develop true friendships! Good job Mike!

Ralph

1 - 20 of 46 Posts