SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I used to post here fairly regularly, but lately I've just been lurking.

Anyway, I'll be doing my first long trip next week. I'm helping a friend bring his boat from the Virgin Islands to Chesapeake Bay (St. Thomas to Deltaville, to be specific).

It's Fountaine Pajot Isla 40. There will be five of us, two married couples and me.

I feel pretty good about the sailing, but I'm going a little crazy with the packing. I've never had to pack for this long of a trip before. I'm trying to strike the balance between packing light, but making sure I have everything I need.

How cold is the approach to the Chesapeake this time of year? We're hoping to arrive around the 15th. I feel like I won't need my full Lake Superior kit, like a light sailing jacket rather than full foulies? But I don't know.

Any other good info for a first timer? My longest trip before was six days with three overnight sails.

Thanks!

·
Registered
23,884 Posts
At night, even 55-60 degrees in wind and damp, can drill right through you, like it was winter. Pack warm enough. Layers.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi all,

Anyway, I'll be doing my first long trip next week. I'm helping a friend bring his boat from the Virgin Islands to Chesapeake Bay (St. Thomas to Deltaville, to be specific).

It's Fountaine Pajot Isla 40. There will be five of us, two married couples and me.

I feel pretty good about the sailing, but I'm going a little crazy with the packing. I've never had to pack for this long of a trip before. I'm trying to strike the balance between packing light, but making sure I have everything I need.

How cold is the approach to the Chesapeake this time of year? We're hoping to arrive around the 15th. I feel like I won't need my full Lake Superior kit, like a light sailing jacket rather than full foulies? But I don't know.

Any other good info for a first timer? My longest trip before was six days with three overnight sails.

Thanks!
Almost 90 next week in eastern VA

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I have a several pair of those pants with the zip-off legs. There are times when the day starts off cool and then by afternoon you want shorts, then the evenings get cool again. Otherwise just bring shorts with a good pair of wind pants. It saves packing both short pants and long. I would bring my foul weather gear, and a fleece layer, or a wool sweater. Have a Great Trip!

·
Registered
325 Posts
You ca
Especially this time of year, temps on land and those 20 miles offshore can be dramatically different.
You can download the Windy app and select ‘temperature’ in the hamburger at upper right and it’ll tell you what the temps are. It looks like Minne is correct and for the last 3 or 4 days you’ll be in temps that are in the 50F to 60F range so you’ll definitely want to have your foulies available.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, looking at earth.nullschool it looks like in May the water temp drops from 75ºF to 55ºF when you leave the Gulf Stream. That'll put a chill on.

I'm leaning towards relying on layers, rather than my heavy foulie jacket.

·
Registered
23,884 Posts
Big advantage of foulies is they do a better job of breaking the wind. I crossed the Gulf of Maine, overnight in the summer, thinking a good winter turtle neck (Barbour Storm) and warm waist jacket would be fine. That combo is usually too hot for even just walking in the winter. I froze my butt off. 55F and foggy, so it was super damp. It's also windy and you're not moving about. I had my mid-summer weight foulies aboard, but they didn't have room for the sweater. I'll never make that mistake again.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a several pair of those pants with the zip-off legs. There are times when the day starts off cool and then by afternoon you want shorts, then the evenings get cool again. Otherwise just bring shorts with a good pair of wind pants. It saves packing both short pants and long. I would bring my foul weather gear, and a fleece layer, or a wool sweater. Have a Great Trip!
I love those! Kühl is my preferred brand, because I get a cell phone pocket and a marker/pen pocket.

I feel like I'll mostly be wearing long pants while on watch. Even down in the Virgins it's not that warm once you get the wind blowing over you. During the day I'll want the sun protection, at night I'll want the warmth. I feel like shorts will be more for lounging around while off watch.

I think it's gonna be a great trip. My only concern is that they're just finishing up getting new batteries/solar/charging installed RIGHT NOW and we are scheduled to leave on Wednesday. Um... Not much time to get the bugs worked out...

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Big advantage of foulies is they do a better job of breaking the wind. I crossed the Gulf of Maine, overnight in the summer, thinking a good winter turtle neck (Barbour Storm) and warm waist jacket would be fine. That combo is usually too hot for even just walking in the winter. I froze my butt off. 55F and foggy, so it was super damp. It's also windy and you're not moving about. I had my mid-summer weight foulies aboard, but they didn't have room for the sweater. I'll never make that mistake again.
Good points... Now I'm leaning more towards bringing my heavyweight jacket.

My tendency is to overpack and I have to fight it every step of the way, but I also want to have everything I need.

My Musto bibs are so bulky, but they are warm... I'm picturing a gusty, rainy night after we've left the Gulf Stream and but are still outside of Chesapeake Bay... I guess I'll have to get my duffle filled and see if there's any space left.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I’d start w
Good points... Now I'm leaning more towards bringing my heavyweight jacket.

My tendency is to overpack and I have to fight it every step of the way, but I also want to have everything I need.

My Musto bibs are so bulky, but they are warm... I'm picturing a gusty, rainy night after we've left the Gulf Stream and but are still outside of Chesapeake Bay... I guess I'll have to get my duffle filled and see if there's any space left.
I’d start with my foulies and then see what space is left over. For the first more than half of your voyage all you’ll need are shorts and t shirts which take up very little room in your bag so you’ll have plenty of space. But you’re going to have more than just a day or two of cold weather and standing watch while damp and shivering for hours on end is NO fun! Earlier I pointed out an app that shows where the temps change, well south and east of the Gulf Stream, but I can also remember feeling like I was going to freeze during a night watch in the Bahamas on Easter weekend, and another time being very cold sailing from Bermuda to the US in June. Offshore, it’s much colder than I imagined it would be and I’ve finally learned my lesson the hard way. For anything offshore north of south Florida, I’d always want to have my full suit of foulies with me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It is a little cooler out in the Bay than it is where we live a some miles East but I wood not call the Bay off shore. We are on the lower Chesapeake and have been sailing the last few weeks with just a lite jacket. One weekend in tee shirts. We will be going tomorrow and the forecast is for 83, mid 50s air temp at the York Spit light and 56 degree water temperature. A lite Jacket type of day.

·
Administrator
7,617 Posts
Depends where you cross/cross out of the Gulf stream. I'm guessing north of hatteras?
West of the GS is definitely cooler.
I don't think I wore my heavy jacket at all in my last passage and definitely never touched the trousers.
And on a FP40 are you going to get wet at all? I doubt it.
Take the heavy jacket and have a few bits to keep warm, but nothing too substantial.

Enjoy the trip!! 😁😁😊

Reactions: Minnesail

·
Registered
325 Posts
Depends where you cross/cross out of the Gulf stream. I'm guessing north of hatteras?
West of the GS is definitely cooler.
I don't think I wore my heavy jacket at all in my last passage and definitely never touched the trousers.
And on a FP40 are you going to get wet at all? I doubt it.
Take the heavy jacket and have a few bits to keep warm, but nothing too substantial.

Enjoy the trip!! 😁😁😊

The latest from Windy shows that warm air has moved north so looks like it wouldn’t get chilly until you actually cross the GS about a day out if you were arriving right now. What a change from a week ago though and the forecast shows the cooler air moving further east and south over the next several days so I’d want to check again just before departure.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Departure is tomorrow morning

I opted to bring just a light jacket and if it gets cold I’ll out on all my layers. I have Patagonia base layers along, they’re pretty warm.

Weather looks good, Chris Parker says go!

·
New to cruising
22 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks!
You need full foulies, a pair of long Johns, lots of socks, underwear, quickdry everything, short sleeved tees, a couple of long sleeves to wear over the tees, one or two sweat shirts. Two pairs slacks so the wet ones can dry, one pair shorts. Expect rain all along the way and having to go to the bow or mast in the rain. when delivering I wear low wet proof Sperry mocs Rather than boots. I just got a new pair that have a felt lining so I don’t have to wear socks (but I do).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks!
Did a 22 day delivery. Lessons learned:
DO NOT go to bed with any salt on you from spray or anything. You'll ruin your berth instantly.
Stay out of the spray at all costs.
You won't wear or eat half of what you plan on.
Keep out of the sun.
Unless the freezer is packed, drag a meat line and see what you can catch to augment it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts