SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a power boater for the last 25 years and I got the sailing bug about 5 years ago when a friend took me out for the day on his 34 catalina. Needless to say I've drove my wife nuts since. I finally took the ASA Basic Keel Boat course this past summer. The $4.00 plus a gallon for fuel on the water this year pushed me over the edge and I started my serious search for a sailboat. I was leaning toward a catboat like the 18 marshall, but my wife wanted a cabin with a head, so I had to keep my mate happy. I ended up buying a 1997 catalina 250 wing keel. It was a one owner boat with cdi roller furling, wheel steering, and a 2004 9.9 hp Honda o/b with electric start. I have to thank Sailingdog for the informative boat inspection tips he posted on this site as they helped me in ruling out boats before hiring a surveyor.
I would also like to thank the sailnet community for the wealth of information I found here this past year.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we do our boating

We do our boating on Barnegat Bay, the Toms River and the Metedaconk River. The sailboat is currently located in Toms River.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Congrats... :) glad to help. :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Coldbeer....Where on Barnegat Bay? I live in Island Heights, and keep our boat at Nelsons. Where are you keeping your boat? Would be glad to help with any info...been sailing these waters for a very long time.

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
Nice Coldbeer. I had a 28 Islander and kept it at Dillions Creek on the Toms River for 8 years. Great place to sail with the on shore after noon ocean breeze and a beam reach back to port in the afternoon. We spent a lot of Sat nights anchored in Tices shoal area.

Moved to the Chesapeake about 10 yeras ago and moved up to our current C&C35.

We will be traveling to Block Island agaon this summer on our July vacation and usualy stop in behind the lighthouse at Barnegat as a stopover on our way on the NY City leg.

Dave

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll be keeping the boat at Seaport marina at head of the Toms River this year. It's accross from Lighthouse Point marina 7 Psych.
My wife and I are looking forward to the new scenery and the learning experiences that await us this spring.
Chef2sail, I've been to Tices Shoal too...with my power boats...wasn't all that concerned with water dept before but I'll have to pay closer attention now lol. Also I have made the loop from Manasquan Inlet to Barnegat Inlet many times over the years. It's a nice ride...used to take me about 3 1/2 to 4 hrs. under power... don't think I'll be tackling that right away with the sailboat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts