SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to say thank you to everyone who mentioned the walker bay dinghy.
Well I sold our dinghy for the price we paid, and found a gem on craigslist.

I think its perfect for us, and someday I can add a sail for fun. Pontoons are hapalon, and in great shape. Will be delivered tomorrow!

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
I think that makes much more sense and will meet your needs pretty well (no dinghy meets all needs).

Reactions: UnionPacific

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that makes much more sense and will meet your needs pretty well (no dinghy meets all needs).
True, I have no idea how I will take our BMW motorcycle to shore now.
OR how I will keep it from being stolen.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
I think you are going through a series of logical steps about what you can do (and take with you) when you cruise and what you cannot. Generally simpler is better than fancier.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
I think you have made a great purchase you will love the walker and I'm sure you will find a way to get your beemer to the dock hang a bike rack on the transom will work just fine :laugher:laugher:laugher:laugher:laugher

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:p according to what I found online this is a no longer made "super tender" all that stuff came with it as a package. And If I replace the tube the new tube will be 10" shorter :( Hapylon should last a good long time anyway, and will be covered.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Hey,

A few years ago I bought a used Walker Bay 10.

Good points:
-Rows well (compared to inflatables and things like that).
-Almost indestructable - can be dragged up a sandy beach, bashed into things, etc.
-Hold a lot of people and / or gear
-Relatively stable (without the bags)

Bad things:
-It's heavy (over 100 lbs)

My boat is on a mooring so I use the dink to get back and forth from the beach to the boat. I used to store the dink in a dinghy rack up on the beach. My previous dink was a Watertender, but it wore out and I replaced it with the WB10. The WB was too just too heavy to drag up the beach. Not I leave it in the water, with a 2.5 hp OB. That works great. I painted the bottom with the same paint I use on the boat - Pettit SR40. The paint worked great but I missed the waterline and grew an amazing about of marine life. In the spring I will do a better job of painting.

Barry

·
Registered
8,473 Posts
it would waste about 4 hp, stress the transom and be really nose high. We get by with 2.5 on ours, hits 5 knots at half thottle. a 5 hp would be more than ample without adding too much weight to the transom. Get a tiller extension- when travelling solo, you are going to want to be seated on the middle bench.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.