SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Sorry for your loss Brian,

I had to do that once with the best guard dog and kid dog I ever had. * years later it still bothers me.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Putting down a dog is tough!!! Man, I never thought it would be that tough. If you have ever had a dog and they were close to you, you will understand what I mean.
Brian, I know exactly what you mean. It's been eight years since we had my nearly 15-year-old Bull Terrier put down, and while he wasn't great on the boat (we only had it two summers while he was alive and by that point he needed to be carried below), he was a boon companion. Ironically, I learned my wife was pregnant for the first time the week we decided "it was time", and thus closes a circle of life.

For a variety of reasons, we haven't got another dog, and with a sea voyage on the horizon, we won't for some time yet. But I do love the silly things, and I know exactly how you feel.

·
... a logical conclusion
430 Posts
Brian,

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful tribute to your dog. I sat here with tears welling in my eyes as I read it; I'm struggling at the moment over the same thing with my 15-1/2 year old poodle, Chianti.

She also loves boating, and has been crew and companion during six years of canal boating in France, and nearly a decade exploring the west coast waters. She insisted on helping us bring the boat to the yard this week for haul-out, and since we have another three or four weeks of work scheduled, her current frailty tells us that it may have been her last voyage.

Again, thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I find it heartening the number of people that have been there, done that, and understand. Like I have said, for those that have not truly had a dog... they would not.

We had been carrying him up/down the companionway for a long time now. It really was not that big of a deal because I have to carry our fat bulldog regardless (another discussion when choosing a good sea-going pet).

We told the boys last night... and they were upset, but they dealt with it after a while.

Thanks all,

Brian

·
On the hard
3,502 Posts
Sorry to hear about Scooter Brian. I lost my best dog ever "Damani" last year. My kids gifted another very unique and special pup to me whom I named Scrappy, even though I didn't want another dog. Now I'm glad they did.

·
Francophobe
168 Posts
CD, sounds like you are going through one of those rough spots. Hang in there - we hope things improve.

Here is a link to my favorite poem for these moments.

·
Registered
520 Posts
So sorry for your loss. Been there myself -- as have many others here -- it's probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do. The memories, of course, last forever. Beautiful photos of an important and much loved member of your family.

Chris

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Brian, sorry to hear that. It's been 4 years since i had to do the same with Baron, my almost 17 year old Golden. They truly are part of the family. Feel free to call if you want to talk. And Sorry to about Glen (good name that, it's my middle name). I pray he is recovering well. I'm sure Chase did fine on his exams.

·
Registered
18 Posts
CD, so sorry for your loss. Our mutt Barney was 17. Never met a stranger, he was a good and faithful companion for my children and our family. . It was really hard when we lost him. They truly give unconditionally of themselves and ask for nothing but love and companionship.

Pilot

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Brian, sorry to hear that. When we had to "slip the leash" on our 15 y.o. shepherd mix last year, my friend Barb sent this wonderful explanation of why animal lives are shorter than human lives, as explained by a 4-year-old boy: "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right? Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

The thought warms me every time I think of the dogs we've outlived.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss.

It is truley amazing what good and loyal friends they are.

All the best to you and your family

Mike

·
Registered
100 Posts
sorry too to hear of your loss. We had to let our Sophie go about 5 years ago now. I was the only one who could stay with her to the end. It was too heartbreaking even for me, but I stayed. We will always have other dogs (3 right now), but you never forget the ones who have gone before.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Now see what you made me DO??!!

You made me cry for Nicholson, our beloved Shi Tzu who died three years ago. Nick was 16 when he died. I wondered if it would be easier to shoot one of our daughters instead.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
:( Brian, that's the worst part of sharing one's life with those whose lifespan is so short compared to ours. But as painful as it always is, the joy they bring makes it worth all the tears.
I'm so sorry. Thanks for sharing with us.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Brian, thank you for your wonderful tribute to a great companion. It brought tears to my eyes. It made me think of the fate my Jenny will also face one day. She's a faithful companion (retriever mix) who loves to sail. Even now I wonder what I will do when she's gone.

Thanks again for sharing your great dog with us.

Pat

21 - 40 of 40 Posts