SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
grumpy old man
5,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across an old tube of drawings marked "historic 1" in my archives. It contained some drawings I did between the age of 16 and 20. It was a very weird feeling to look at the old drawings and wonder who that kid was and what exactly did he think he was doing.

So, mainly for pure self indulgence and entertainment, I did my latest blog entry with a variety of these very old drawings.

I hope you will check hem out,. I think you will chuckle. But give me a break, I was a kid.

·
Deep Blue Crush
Elan Impression 394
176 Posts
What break Bob, you need no breaks, they are really great drawings. Its very nice that you still have them.
See, a door closes, another one always opens. From the school band you ended up doing something that you loved, drawing, and how from there everything ended up to be a domino effect.
Enjoyed reading your post.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thank you. Now I know why I couldn't pass or even complete the NAEBM-Westlawn course when I was in my 20's :-(

·
Registered
178 Posts
What break Bob, you need no breaks, they are really great drawings. Its very nice that you still have them.
See, a door closes, another one always opens...
No doors would be opening or closing in any yacht I designed.:)

·
grumpy old man
5,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Westsail:
These boats were drawn years before the world ever heard the name Westsail.

But I was a keen student of Bill Atkin's work from an early age. I collected the MOTOR BOATING AND SAILING IDEAL SERIES books.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Your keels have improved

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Love 'em all. It's like watching any live musician. Some better than others, all awesome for putting it out there.

Reactions: scratchee

·
Banned
141 Posts
Westsail:
These boats were drawn years before the world ever heard the name Westsail.

But I was a keen student of Bill Atkin's work from an early age. I collected the MOTOR BOATING AND SAILING IDEAL SERIES books.
Yes Bob , I know that . I didn't mean to imply that the WS was in production before you made these designs . Also I really like the gaff rigs you drew up and the absents of a aperture for the prop .

·
HANUMAN
2,838 Posts
I don't get over to your blog often enough. It's always a great read.

Ten at $3.50 is $35.00. I'll take my one and only chance to correct Bob Perry on anything even remotely related to boats.

(I know my multiples of 35 like the back of my hand, care to guess what I do for a living?)

"Spline weights were expensive, $3.50 each and you really needed about ten of them to draw a reasonably long curved line. ****! That's $350. That's not going to happen."

Sail on Bob, If you need me I'll be drinking scotch on the deck...

·
grumpy old man
5,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. I like your responses.

$35....$350.... to a 17 year old it was the same. I couldn't afford it. I had to gas up my 1955 Oldsmobile.

Yes my keels have improved.

You are all very welcome at my shack. Just give me a heads up. My wife is used to it.
" Who exactly is this guy?"
"Well, I'm not sure. I met him on the internet."
So far the results have been very positive.

·
Deep Blue Crush
Elan Impression 394
176 Posts
No doors would be opening or closing in any yacht I designed.:)
WGEwald, so many meanings on that sentence. :) Maybe they are submarines. But hey, no doors means it can just capsize over and over and over. :) Roll it like a ball. Might be a safe design for me!
I don't get afraid of the sailboat heeling too much, on the contrary I get all excited about it actually, but the capsize thing does scare me (the lasers were easy to just get back on track).
I wonder how "easy" an unexperienced "sailor" can capsize a 29, or 30, or 32 foot sailboat.

Ok, I am officially proud of myself today, I wrote "boat heeling" and not "boat tilting". I am speaking boat language!

·
grumpy old man
5,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Paikea:
If you are talking about a "normal", ballasted 30' keel boat with reasonably healthy design characteristics it would take a real pro to "capsize " it in anything short of a full gale with breaking seas and too much sail up.

A few years back I got a call from a couple in SF The were new owners of a Nordic 40. It was their FIRST sailboat! They were worried about being "knocked down". They were looking for a "manual" for the boat that would give them instructions. They were clearly very new to sailing. After a short chat I made the offhand comment that I could teach them to safely sail the new boat in a day if I flew down. The husband said, 'When do you want to come down?" Oh. Well it would e nice to sail a new 40 on the Bay for a couple of days, I thought. " You pay my expenses and I'll come down on Thursday."

I went down and sailed with them for two days. The owner sailed the boat for a while then I took the helm. I sheeted everything in and hardened up and laid the boat over to about a 26 degree heel angle and of we shot. The husband said, "I didn't know you could do that." When he steered the moment the boat started to heel he luffed up and kept repeating this process. " Don't do that. Just let the boat heel over and get in the groove. Everything will be fine." It was a revelation to this guy, a smart guy. We sailed for two days. I had fun and they learned a lot.

Mostly they learned to have confidence in the boat.
Tilting was OK.

·
Old enough to know better
4,344 Posts
I really like Billo, it has very nice lines. I find it hard to believe it was done by a kid. Seems most teens would have very exaggerated sense of style, most of these are very well balanced. I like the gaff sloop, but then again I am a sucker for a gaff rig. I think $2500 is a bargain for the drawing. After all you are world famous! Of course I don't have it to spend so don't accept any checks from me for it!

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
I thought the designs were pretty good.

In a way, it shows the creativity that got you started. New or old, I like seeing your designs. You've done very well with them.

·
Deep Blue Crush
Elan Impression 394
176 Posts
Paikea:
If you are talking about a "normal", ballasted 30' keel boat with reasonably healthy design characteristics it would take a real pro to "capsize " it in anything short of a full gale with breaking seas and too much sail up.

Tilting was OK.
Thank you Bob. Yes, I was talking about a normal 30' sailboat. That sure makes me feel better to hear that it would take a pro for that. :)

Btw, I just received your book today. I am very much looking forward to cuddle on the couch tonight with Jack (my little cookie dog) and enjoy it over a nice cup of tea. I was told that is a must read for anyone in the market to buy a sailboat.

·
Broad Reachin'
2,038 Posts
Now that's a fun blog post. I was expecting cartoony sketches (of questionable quality like my own), but those are legit!

In addition to the influences you mentioned in the post, I see some Walter Schulz and Lyle Hess in a few of those designs. Not sure how that fits with the timeline, meaning perhaps they were influenced by you and not the other way around.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Love the rake of the masts on the 45' ketch . And that 36' cutter It looks like, oh I don't know dare I say the WS word ? Nice work !
I just went to the web site and was looking at that boat. That's a really nice looking boat. One of the most beautiful I think I have seen. The Serinis are lucky folks!

I've always hated the way ketches and yawls went out of style. One really nice feature of having two masts where I am now, would be being able to get away with less air draft, thereby opening up a more places to cruise and anchor.

·
grumpy old man
5,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kwalt:
Are you joking?
Are you trying to be funny?
Walter Schultz? Give me a F^&*(g break!

Walter and I are about the same age. How the hell could I be influenced by Walter when he was my age and probably not even remotely involved with boats at the time. I still consider him a very mediocre, at best, designer.

No Lyle Hess either. Not sure I was aware of his work back then.

Surely you jest.
Walter Schultz?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Kwalt:
Are you joking?
Are you trying to be funny?
Walter Schultz? Give me a F^&*(g break!

Walter and I are about the same age. How the hell could I be influenced by Walter when he was my age and probably not even remotely involved with boats at the time. I still consider him a very mediocre, at best, designer.

No Lyle Hess either. Not sure I was aware of his work back then.

Surely you jest.
Walter Schultz?
Did you read the last sentence in his post?

Not sure how that fits with the timeline, meaning perhaps they were influenced by you and not the other way around.
Why fly off the handle like that?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts