SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5,894 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across an old tube of drawings marked "historic 1" in my archives. It contained some drawings I did between the age of 16 and 20. It was a very weird feeling to look at the old drawings and wonder who that kid was and what exactly did he think he was doing.

So, mainly for pure self indulgence and entertainment, I did my latest blog entry with a variety of these very old drawings.

I hope you will check hem out,. I think you will chuckle. But give me a break, I was a kid.

· Registered
5,894 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Westsail:
These boats were drawn years before the world ever heard the name Westsail.

But I was a keen student of Bill Atkin's work from an early age. I collected the MOTOR BOATING AND SAILING IDEAL SERIES books.

· Registered
5,894 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. I like your responses.

$35....$350.... to a 17 year old it was the same. I couldn't afford it. I had to gas up my 1955 Oldsmobile.

Yes my keels have improved.

You are all very welcome at my shack. Just give me a heads up. My wife is used to it.
" Who exactly is this guy?"
"Well, I'm not sure. I met him on the internet."
So far the results have been very positive.

· Registered
5,894 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Paikea:
If you are talking about a "normal", ballasted 30' keel boat with reasonably healthy design characteristics it would take a real pro to "capsize " it in anything short of a full gale with breaking seas and too much sail up.

A few years back I got a call from a couple in SF The were new owners of a Nordic 40. It was their FIRST sailboat! They were worried about being "knocked down". They were looking for a "manual" for the boat that would give them instructions. They were clearly very new to sailing. After a short chat I made the offhand comment that I could teach them to safely sail the new boat in a day if I flew down. The husband said, 'When do you want to come down?" Oh. Well it would e nice to sail a new 40 on the Bay for a couple of days, I thought. " You pay my expenses and I'll come down on Thursday."

I went down and sailed with them for two days. The owner sailed the boat for a while then I took the helm. I sheeted everything in and hardened up and laid the boat over to about a 26 degree heel angle and of we shot. The husband said, "I didn't know you could do that." When he steered the moment the boat started to heel he luffed up and kept repeating this process. " Don't do that. Just let the boat heel over and get in the groove. Everything will be fine." It was a revelation to this guy, a smart guy. We sailed for two days. I had fun and they learned a lot.

Mostly they learned to have confidence in the boat.
Tilting was OK.

· Registered
5,894 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kwalt:
Are you joking?
Are you trying to be funny?
Walter Schultz? Give me a F^&*(g break!

Walter and I are about the same age. How the hell could I be influenced by Walter when he was my age and probably not even remotely involved with boats at the time. I still consider him a very mediocre, at best, designer.

No Lyle Hess either. Not sure I was aware of his work back then.

Surely you jest.
Walter Schultz?

· Registered
5,894 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Kwalt:
Of course you are correct. I think Walt and I both had some of the same influences.

I like Walt. He's a very good boatbuilder. I met him years ago at the Nap show when he passed the word that he was going to punch me in the nose if he met me. Tat sounded like fun to me so I went over to his 38 and introduced myself. We had a nice chat and I think we have been friends ever since. I wish he had built some of my boats.

· Registered
5,894 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Killarney:
You and my son Max. He has a degree in GIS ( I think it's called) and he works for Lockheed-Martin in their flight simulator program. I think we may have discussed this before.
He does 3D modelling for airports and surrounds.

Really, this is a job for Jeff. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of the business and he has nothing to do that is more important than this.

· Registered
5,894 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Killarney:
Max was the kind of kid that read himself to sleep at night with the Atlas. His wife, Stacy, also has a degree in GIS but now she is a full time Mom to my two beautiful grand children Violet and Drake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.