SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Just to tell you that my sailingvideos are available again here on Sailnet, and at Anything-Sailing and why not? I even let Stuffers have them..

I made them for everyone, and that way they should stay..

Anyway...I am done with my "friction" with Stuffers, so, I hope things will now calm down, they go their way, we go ours!! and we laa live happy

You may see them HERE, where they were before

Thanks

Alex

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Good... They're well worth watching.... even if you use the brit words for some things... :)

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Does it really matter?

I m the one that got drug into the how long did you last thread by no doing of my own, who found a good community and decided to stick around. That ok with you?:confused:
Alex,

Me thinks this redhead is not one you want to mess with!

Anyway, welcome twisty!

Marty

ps,

we ignore denby around here!:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
I m the one that got drug into the how long did you last thread by no doing of my own, who found a good community and decided to stick around. That ok with you?:confused:

Umm... he might have meant me...since I was complimenting his videos... :)

Glad you're gonna stick around. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Umm... he might have meant me...since I was complimenting his videos... :)

Glad you're gonna stick around. :)
I was too... I watched the heave too vid. It explained a lot of what I have been misunderstanding, I now understand the theory and the application, the results just seem odd to me, and probably will until I get out there and try it. :(

either way, Thanks for the vids they will definitely be helpful!

PS Alex, it's blond, but don't tell anyone. ;)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hey!!!

Bucky!!! how's it hangin' ???

Any good news??? How's Evansville?
Hangin Good Alex!

all the news is good....Haven't been back to Evansville. I was only going there to buy you dinner but ended up in the ER instead.

Next time you're in town, I'll buy you dinner AND dessert....

and I'm already over THERE.....

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks SD, that was in fact what happened.

BES, all good now?? that's why I was asking..how they're hanging...

·
Registered
729 Posts
Backstay adjustment

Excellent videos! Thanks

A coment on the backstay video. I have a masthead rig and always thought the reason for tighening up on the backstay when going to windward was to help reduce the sag on the forestay. No mention was made of that in the video. Also a general question about tension adjustment on the rig. The other day I was on the boat (a Tayana 37) here on the Cheaspeake Bay and the forestay was doing a hula dance of sorts. I think it hit the natural frequency. I can measure tension in all the 1x19 wires on the boat(using the folding rule method as outlined by Selden), but can not measure the forestay due to the Pro Furl furler on the forestay. If the mast does not bend is the tension in the backstay the same in the forestay accounting for geometry between the two wires? I'm not sure if in a mast head rig which I have if my mast bends much fore and aft..... if at all.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Just remember Twisty; When it comes to us old salts, you just take us with a grain of salt and tongue in cheek.
But welcome to this wacky world of sailing...

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Excellent videos! Thanks

A coment on the backstay video. I have a masthead rig and always thought the reason for tighening up on the backstay when going to windward was to help reduce the sag on the forestay.

The main purpose of the BS is not to tighten the forestay..it does that on Masthead rigs as a consequence..BUT that is not its purpose.

No mention was made of that in the video.

See above why not..it's not its purpose. BUT I do mention in the BS video that as a consequence of tensioning the BS, the forestay gets tensioned too Even made a drwing of it.

Also a general question about tension adjustment on the rig. The other day I was on the boat (a Tayana 37) here on the Cheaspeake Bay and the forestay was doing a hula dance of sorts. I think it hit the natural frequency. I can measure tension in all the 1x19 wires on the boat(using the folding rule method as outlined by Selden), but can not measure the forestay due to the Pro Furl furler on the forestay.

Yes you can, somewhere in your furler track there is a place to open it that gives access to the forestay cable, look for it, please, nornmally at the base.

If the mast does not bend is the tension in the backstay the same in the forestay accounting for geometry between the two wires? I'm not sure if in a mast head rig which I have if my mast bends much fore and aft..... if at all.

Please look at the HEAD SAIL video..in there you cann see the effects and consequences of forestay tension and head sail halyard tension

Alex

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Eye sight is going in old age, here it looked like we had a firey red head, not another "bumd dlond" oops, "dumb blond" or some such thing...........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Marty
ps
I need to include myself in the "bumd dlonb" category!:cool::cool::cool::D:D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Eye sight is going in old age, here it looked like we had a firey red head, not another "bumd dlond" oops, "dumb blond" or some such thing...........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Marty
ps
I need to include myself in the "bumd dlonb" category!:cool::cool::cool::D:D
bad lighting and no sun that summer... technically i am a brunette but the sun converts me every summer. is there not such thing as a fiery blond? ;)

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Sounds like me, later in summer, really light, altho not as light as my sister gets! She will look towheaded! Her son is red, as are a few cousins, maternal grandmother was supposedly auburn in color, she died 6 yrs befoe I as born..........so that must mean the fiery red/blond is in me too!?!?!?! friggen Irish in me!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts