SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mondofromredondo
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I'm not anywhere near my 1988 PSC 34' at the moment I'm trying to recall the brand name of the manual windlass that was installed at the factory. It uses a 3' long flat bar inserted into the mechanisim to crank back and forth to raise the anchor. It would be extremely convenient if I didn't have to make a long drive out there to get the name off the casing. Anyone know what could be called? Its a fairly high profile horizontal unit. For some reason I was thinking it was called a Hercules but nothing that looks like it comes up when I google it. I'd imagine some of you may have the same unit. Its probably due for upgrade but thought I'd try to get info on inspecting the internals to give me comfort for the next year or two.

Thanks !!!!

·
Mondofromredondo
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks John,

It sure looks like it could be the Muir Hercules as well and for some reason "Hercules" stands out in my memory. I'm gonna need to make the drive to the boat to confirm. In fact the Hercules looks more like my memory of it than the previous. Perhaps cuz its so beat up looking.

Thanks again !!

·
Old soul
5,660 Posts
So, what's the difference, or the connection, between the Muir Hercules manual windlass and the old SeaTiger 555. They look identical from the pics. I have a Seatiger, but didn't know the design was also built by others. Are they the same?

I also have a Plath bronze windlass. The same design was used by ABI.

·
Mondofromredondo
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can clearly see a difference in the housing in the upper aft area between the two. Other than that I couldn't say. They definitly look very similar and perhaps one was an attempt to copy the other. Originally I thought that I had heard somewhere that my Muir had a chain inside which has always worried me. But from looking at some rebuild efforts it appears that both units are 100% gear driven.

Mine appears to be in good enough shape, just not sure when the last time it recieved any maintenance and I've had it for 7 years. Looking real hard at the lewmar Vertical Storm. Appears to be a pretty beefy machine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.