SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I work as a dockmaster and was recently left a Mylar Head Sail (Atleast thats what i think it is) From someone that was racing Transpac (LB-HI) due to excess wait..

Long Story Short Its been sitting in the bag, rolled up properly from the past 6 months and i need it gone.

It Looks to be in great condition with no delimitation.

I dont not have much knowledge and would like to sell the sail. Can you please help me.

Here is what i got off the sail patch

Measurer - 217
10/04/09

LP-11.26
LU-23.26
LE-24.96
M A-2.87
KGM-5.64
MGL-8.40

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Sail,

I would call a local loft and ask of they do consignment for sails. Mylar sails can't be recut, so finding a boat that wants it could be tricky.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sell it to Minney's Yacht Sales. That is probably the easiest option and they aren't too far away.
Whats a Sail like that worth.... roughly. I know its hard to tell not looking at it but give me Highest and Lowest. I dont want to go there and have them offer me $80 bucks when i really could get $500.

·
Freedom isn't free
2,990 Posts
Mylar laminate (loadpath) might be worth something for the particular boat it was designed for... or even radial... straight mylar/nylon probably not worth much. But in good shape, for the right boat, as long as there are no signs of decay... could be worth a lot more than $80.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took it to Minnys, some younger kid was the one looking at it. Didnt ask to take it out of bag because he said "It looks like a professional roll or fold and didnt want to deal with it. He first offered $50, so my girlfriend said no. (she was dealing with him, i was at work. She has some knowledge about sails) than he came back with an $80 offer....
my girl still refused offer, she told me he had a weird vibe like it was worth way more and he was trying to scam her. what do you think

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
Minneys was going to be my suggestion, too. The problem any used place will have is that they have to keep it in inventory until the right buyer comes along. Yes, they have a better chance of selling it than you might, but, it's still going to sit in their inventory for a while. So, what's it worth? Check Minney's site to see if they have something comparable. Then cut that price by about 50%.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
What about getting it back to the owner? Unless you were told that they really didn't want it back, the gesture might be good for business, if nothing else. A 2009 racing sail is likely to be quite tired, even if there's no delamination. It's hard to tell, but that may be why they left it behind. Around here we might use sails like that to rake leaves into, and then carry to the compost pile. That might be less useful for you out in Long Beach. Are you planning to do any painting?

·
Registered
410 Posts
The guys at Minney's must be buying stuff cheap, because they sell it cheap as heck as well. At least if you sell it to them for $80, they'll probably find someone who can use it!

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
THose measurements in either meters or feet......

LP-11.26 Luff perpindicular measure
LU-23.26 luff measure
LE-24.96 leach measure
M A-2.87
KGM-5.64
MGL-8.40

Not for sure what the last three are, but many times need a mid lp and a 3/4 lp measure to verify how big a roach a sail has.

If that sail is 217 sq meters, that is 2200 or so ft of sail. Worth WAY more than $80! if it is 217sq ft, then stilll worth more tha $80.

Marty

·
599 Posts
You could always try Craig's list...

First I would do my research - look at similar sails at second hand sail companies like Minneys. That'll give you an idea of what it is worth.

You'll get perhaps 50% of the value from the sail broker, 75% if you sell privately.

Make sure you evaluate the sail wear appropriately - in good condition is is worth a fair amount, IF you can find the right buyer. Worn - not so much.

Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What about getting it back to the owner? Unless you were told that they really didn't want it back, the gesture might be good for business, if nothing else. A 2009 racing sail is likely to be quite tired, even if there's no delamination. It's hard to tell, but that may be why they left it behind. Around here we might use sails like that to rake leaves into, and then carry to the compost pile. That might be less useful for you out in Long Beach. Are you planning to do any painting?
If i could get it back to the owner i would, but he is home to New Zealand.

·
Administrator
9,254 Posts
If this is a polyester reinforced Mylar it has little to no value since these are such short lived sails that they are literally seen as disposable. If its a kevlar/ mylar sail in perfect shape and it is worth perhaps a grand to the owner of a sister ship. If no one has done a complete inspection of the sail and its been stored with the same fold for months at a time, it's a pig in a poke worth perhaps a few hundred dollars to an owner of a boat that is not a sister ship.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
SailDaze, when did you get the sail? What transpac was it? Year?

There is a One design measurement on the sail. What one design fleets were racing that year? You can find the results on line. Shouldn't be to hard (with a little work) to find out what type of boat it went to, going by the measurements. Then you can narrow your potential sellers. (assuming the sail was cut for that boat and wasn't a used sail to the owner who left it).

Can you get photos of the sail? Are those measurements in feet? or Meters?
If it's in feet, you can get a couple hundred bucks for it. If it's in meters, then probably a couple thousand or more depending on material and construction method.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It was left From 2013 Transpac LB to HI. It didn't go with the boat, the boat left it behind. Sail was sitting on public docks for weeks until someone asked me to take it before it was trashed.

Im not sure if its in feet or meters. Its perfectly rolled up and im not to experienced so i don't want to unfold it without a professional.

To give you idea, maybe this helps determine, It weights a couple hundred lbs... It looks very big compared to sails Ive worked with in the past...

also its Kevlar reinforced

SailDaze, when did you get the sail? What transpac was it? Year?

There is a One design measurement on the sail. What one design fleets were racing that year? You can find the results on line. Shouldn't be to hard (with a little work) to find out what type of boat it went to, going by the measurements. Then you can narrow your potential sellers. (assuming the sail was cut for that boat and wasn't a used sail to the owner who left it).

Can you get photos of the sail? Are those measurements in feet? or Meters?
If it's in feet, you can get a couple hundred bucks for it. If it's in meters, then probably a couple thousand or more depending on material and construction method.

·
19,489 Posts
Sounds like....

The scene... 400 nm off the Californian Coast.. "Skipper, the wind's lightening up".. "OK.. dig out that new #1 genoa".... many minutes later.... 'uh,.... Skipper, can't find it down there!!"

"Oh Sh$^^&"....

·
Freedom isn't free
2,990 Posts
Different ball game.. COUPLE HUNDRED POUNDS? Must be meters!
Sounds like a kevlar/mylar laminate... worth a small fortune if it's in any kind of condition, for the right boat.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts