SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 09-45DS the Yanmar panel in the cockpit has a toggle switch labeled "parallel". It is next to the blower toggle switch. I am at a loss for what this "parallel" switch does. I could not find anything in the Hunter Operators Manual. I could just flip the switch and see what happens, but I am a bit reluctant to do that. I imagine this switch is on several models. Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
A fellow down the dock has a Hunter 45 cc. He has a similar switch but labeled differently IIRC. He had it “closed” or “parallel” but tying the two batteries together through a solenoid. His start battery wojld die every few days. I helped him a bit, I found this solenoid and it was warm, clearly carrying current.

He found reference to this switch in the Owners Manual and it said something about making sure the switch was off when the engine not running. I did not read the manual and am a bit suspect of the Owners understanding.

It sounds a bit like the switch you are describing.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
A fellow down the dock has a Hunter 45 cc. He has a similar switch but labeled differently IIRC. He had it “closed” or “parallel” but tying the two batteries together through a solenoid. His start battery wojld die every few days. I helped him a bit, I found this solenoid and it was warm, clearly carrying current.

He found reference to this switch in the Owners Manual and it said something about making sure the switch was off when the engine not running. I did not read the manual and am a bit suspect of the Owners understanding.

It sounds a bit like the switch you are describing.
I had the same thought as Mark.... But your battery switch should give you the option of combining both batteries for starting. Of course the switch may not be as convenient.

You should know the voltage... more or less of your house and start batteries... and manage the charging as needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts