SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the introductions forum is here, I thought I'd make use of it. I'm new to Sailnet but have been around sailboats all my life - dad owns and runs a sailboat sales and charter business. Many of our vacations growing up were sailing trips to Ocracoke, Cape Lookout, etc.

Boats:
I started with a little rowboat granddad made me; I was so young that when I first got the boat they would keep me tethered with a long line to the dock. Later I was allowed to row wherever I wanted in the creek, as long as I was within sight of the backyard. :laugher

Eventually I was allowed to skipper the small skiff with the 15hp Evinrude, and when I was 14 or 15, I helped clean up and make repairs on a Balboa 20 that dad had taken in trade. We kept it at the house, and I was able to sail out on the Pamlico River and take my buddies out on it. At about the same time, a friend of mine bought and fixed up an old Hobie 16, which was a blast to sail.

From 2003-2006, I co-owned a 1973 Pearson P30 with my roommate at the time. Longest trips were a couple of weekend excursions to Ocracoke, but we usually just sailed around the river and/or anchored to swim for a while. In my signature is a photo of Second Wind, unfortunately taken just before the jib was hoisted.

I've also crewed on a couple of offshore deliveries between here and the Abacos, which are among my most cherished memories.

I don't currently have a boat, but I'm hoping in the next year or two to get back into doing more sailing than I've been able to do the last couple of years.

Guess I got a little carried away! Ended up being more like a biography than an introduction. Thanks for reading. I look forward to participating on the forum.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Welcome to Sailnet SW. Though most are in the Triangle, you might also want to check out NCSail.org.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome.

PB, I'll definitely check that out.

Another tidbit I meant to mention is that I'm a 2002 UNC alum and a Tar Heel fanatic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts